Waiting to be found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems to me, that they were lucky that JU-52 didn't break. Can't really trust structure after 60 years in saltwater.

I know some guys that are doing a TBM Avenger from lake Erie it landed on the ice and fell through with little damage , fresh water no corrosion a little current and the Zebra mussels(thanks Europe) will fall off

I know some guys that are doing a TBM Avenger from lake Erie it landed on the ice and fell through with little damage , fresh water no corrosion a little current and the Zebra mussels(thanks Europe) will fall off

How are they getting along with the navy regarding the salvage (or is it a Canadian TBM)?

Please see if you can find a link, or something else, I would like to know more about that TBM.

I'VE BEEN THERE!!!!

That's at the Thai Army Airbase at Lopari - about 60 miles north of Bangkok. I was there in 2001. A major on the base told me that they were still US property and "I could have them." The problem was getting them out of the country and getting State Department approval. They really weren't in bad shape and I know there were a few restorable airframes.

Hi - I'm new to this forum, but I have just seen your post about the O-1 bird dogs at Lopari/Saraburi Aeropark. I have tried to contact the owner to see about purchasing one of the planes myself to bring back to the UK. Were you successful in the end with trying to get hold of any? Seems a shame to leave them standing out there....not really respectful.

Do you have the contact details for the owner?

I think they are still storing aircraft at Kingman AZ, although no warbirds. I saw scads of DHL and Flying Tiger Airway freight aircraft there about two years ago. Many more than a normal big city air hub would have parked around it, I presume the climate is good for static storage. I'm not too familiar with "modern jet freight aircraft" but I think most were DC-8s or 707s.

Kingman just isn't big enough to justify an air hub.

I recall that Challenge publications magazine "Air Classics" ran a feature for several years in the late 70's asking readers to submit photos of warbirds sitting around old airports or whatever. I do recall the stir created when one reader sent in photos of a DeHavilland Mosquito in a tiny fenced-in lot in Mexico city!
I do think that this feature resulted in some saved warbirds.

Back to the original statement. Aircraft sitting around waiting to be restored, NOT underwater, in a jungle or a otherwise inaccessible.
War veteran C-53D siting in a yard in Petal Mississippi at the closed Hamilton Machine Museum.
Hamilton Machine Museum (195).jpg
Hamilton Machine Museum (200).jpg

So that's what happened to this old tanker...I helped take her apart back in 2005 for shipment to MN. The gentleman who took it does incredible work....hope he gets around to it someday.

tbm.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back