Want to Google Earth family aircraft collection on the East Coast

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Messy1

Master Sergeant
Nov 21, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I remember reading about the family on the East coast whose father collected many old fighters and bombers and placed them in the family's backyard. The father was a immigrant, and used a flat bed trailer and a pickup to haul the planes home piece by piece. I remember reading about this collection in either Flight Journal or Aviation History magazine. Anyone know the name of the family, or where they live? I cannot for the life of me remember. I was wanting to use Google Earth and see if anything was left of the collection. Any info would be appreciated.

Think his name was Walter Soplata, located near Newbury, Ohio?
I vaguely remember reading an article about him a while back, he was either being hounded to sell a FG2 Super Corsair or an F-82 Twin Mustang in the article, don't remember which it was. Seems to me it was the one operated by Odegaard Aviation in the markings of Race 57? I could very well be mistaken though.

Last edited:
I would have to beleive that Mr. Soplata has passed on by now though? Seems to me he was getting up there in age when the article I read was written. He would not part with any of his aircraft at that time, but from what I've read he has done so recently.
Did a little more research and he actually owned The FG2 with race #74 and was approuched to see if he would sell, would not so they found Race 57. Which IMHO is a much nicer scheme for a racer.

I'll try bing out Njaco! thanks for the tip. Yeah, I cannot imagine how many trips it took to get all of that B-36 all back to his place.

I have read about his collection on a couple websites, and there are a few people who are not happy about the way he disassembled the items, and transported the planes in his collection, or the state they may be in today. Although his methods may not have been necessarily the best, but my feeling is at least the birds are preserved and around. Who knows what would have happened to the planes in his collection had he not purchased them, most would have been turned ino scrap years ago.

Attachments

• 119-1979_IMG.jpg
    119-1979_IMG.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 119-1969_IMG.jpg
    119-1969_IMG.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back