War of 1812

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hey you gotta love the falcon of Malta's pic...nice..

bf109 emil

thank you for lokking these up, as at times it seems like it is hard for the USA to swallow the fact they where defeated by Canadians...so they toss in British..much the same as when Lafayette French army defeated the British, yet Independance reviews hardly mention these, as it was the French whom defeated the British, thus allowing a group of Militia to claim Independance, and make George their first prez...

bf109 emil...still like Buzz's pic...sweet (leading North American born ace in the European theatre)
But it was the for the most part Brits that played the dominant role ,Read about Brock

thank you for lokking these up, as at times it seems like it is hard for the USA to swallow the fact they where defeated by Canadians

Once again I'm going to point something out to you....

"In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies through Confederation, Canada was formed as a federal dominion of four provinces. This began an accretion of additional provinces and territories and a process of increasing autonomy from the United Kingdom, highlighted by the Statute of Westminster in 1931 and culminating in the Canada Act in 1982 which severed the vestiges of legal dependence on the British parliament."

You saying that "Canadians" defeated Americans would be like saying "Americans" defeated France during the French/ Indian War. For someone talking so much sh!t you seem pretty ignorant of your own country's history.

I suggest you actually research when and to who Cornwallis' army surrendered to.

Today in History: October 19

Your ignorance is worse than someone from Ohio who thinks there's igloos in Toronto.:rolleyes:

And the Canadians come out during the annual herding of the Arctic Yaks down the main street in Toronto - to batter them to death in the traditional way, with Timbits... :) {courtesy Rick Mercer}
I thought that took place on Yonge and Bloor????

You saying that "Canadians" defeated Americans would be like saying "Americans" defeated France during the French/ Indian War. For someone talking so much sh!t you seem pretty ignorant of your own country's history.
Unsure about the above...but i do know it was the FRENCH whom defeated the British to give america it's Independance...as well as America not coming to Napoleans aid, from a pact signed to help each other in future wars...as Congress claimed France was not attacked, but declared war on Great Britian...Naploeans plan was sunk, and his grande armee, was turned east..but to fund this, Louisiana was sold for the sum of 15 million...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loG98vawjN4
"In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies through Confederation, Canada was formed as a federal dominion of four provinces.
In case there any doubtCanada became a self-governing dominion in 1867

Wow, you learn something new every day!

And I just found out the Washington Monument is actually a middle finger pointed to our neighbors to the north for burning the city. Fascinating!

Unsure about the above...but i do know it was the FRENCH whom defeated the British to give america it's Independance
Was it??? The French helped - no doubt about it but it was a combined force.

In early October, approximately 17,000 American and French troops led by Generals George Washington and Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau, respectively, surrounded British-occupied Yorktown. Off the coast, French Admiral François de Grasse strategically positioned his naval fleet to control access to the town via the Chesapeake Bay and the York River.

...as well as America not coming to Napoleans aid, from a pact signed to help each other in future wars...as Congress claimed France was not attacked, but declared war on Great Britian...Naploeans plan was sunk, and his grande armee, was turned east..but to fund this, Louisiana was sold for the sum of 15 million...
And that's another story...
So are you one of those Canadians who talk sh!t about some Americans but in reality are just as ignorant????

hey you gotta love the falcon of Malta's pic...nice..

bf109 emil

thank you for lokking these up, as at times it seems like it is hard for the USA to swallow the fact they where defeated by Canadians...so they toss in British..much the same as when Lafayette French army defeated the British, yet Independance reviews hardly mention these, as it was the French whom defeated the British, thus allowing a group of Militia to claim Independance, and make George their first prez...

bf109 emil...still like Buzz's pic...sweet (leading North American born ace in the European theatre)

I think you are just sour because Canada is only known for being north of the United States....

To all my Canadian Friends out there, I am only kidding...
;)

Where exactly did Canada defeat the US without Brit help , now I am also proud but not dumb please read your non school historys of the war of 1812 , a good start would be the 2 books by Pierre Berton called Flames across the Border and the Invasion of Canada
The only reason the US didn't win was because they were inept

Where exactly did Canada defeat the US without Brit help , now I am also proud but not dumb please read your non school historys of the war of 1812 , a good start would be the 2 books by Pierre Berton called Flames across the Border and the Invasion of Canada
The only reason the US didn't win was because they were inept

Although I'm not a great Wikipedia fan, I thought this was a pretty fair take on the whole thing, and PB you are more than correct about the US forces being "inept."

The war started badly for the Americans in August 1812, when an attempt to invade Canada was repulsed by Major-General Isaac Brock and a force of 350 regular British troops he commanded (supported in turn by local militias and American Indians). This led to the British capture of Detroit. A second invasion on the Niagara peninsula was defeated on October 13, 1812 at the Battle of Queenston Heights at which Brock was killed. The American strategy relied in part on militias, but they either resisted service or were incompetently led. Financial and logistical problems also plagued the American effort. Military and civilian leadership was lacking and remained a critical American weakness until 1814. New England opposed the war and refused to provide troops or finance.

Britain had excellent finance and logistics, but the war with France had a higher priority, so in 1812–13 it adopted a defensive strategy. After the final defeat of Napoleon in 1814, the British were able to send veteran armies to the U.S., but by then the Americans had learned how to mobilize and fight.

At sea, the powerful Royal Navy blockaded much of the coastline, though allowing substantial exports from New England, which was trading with Britain and Canada in defiance of American laws. The blockade devastated American agricultural exports but helped stimulate local factories that replaced goods previously imported.

The American strategy of using small gunboats to defend ports was a fiasco, as the British raided the coast at will. The most famous episode was a series of British raids on the shores of Chesapeake Bay, including an attack on Washington D.C. that resulted in the burning of the White House, the Capitol, the navy yard and other public buildings, later called the "Burning of Washington". The Americans were more successful sending out several hundred privateers to attack British merchant ships; British commercial interests were damaged, especially in the West Indies. Although few compared to the Royal Navy, the American Navy's more powerful frigates prevailed in several battles against British ships.

The decisive use of naval power came on the Great Lakes and depended on a contest of building ships. In 1813, the Americans won control of Lake Erie and cut off British and native forces to the west from their supplies. The British ultimately held Lake Ontario, preventing any major American invasion. The Americans controlled Lake Champlain, and naval victory there forced a large invading British army to turn back in 1814.

The Americans destroyed the power of the native people of the northwest and southeast, securing a major war goal. The trade restrictions and impressment by the British ended with the defeat of France, removing another cause of the war. Both nations agreed to a peace that left the prewar boundaries intact.

In January 1815 after the Treaty of Ghent was signed but before the US Congress had received a copy to ratify, the Americans succeeded in defending New Orleans, and the British captured Fort Bowyer before news of the treaty reached combatants on the south coast.

The war had the effect of uniting Canadians and also uniting Americans more closely than either population had been. Canadians remember the war as a victory by avoiding conquest, while Americans celebrate victory personified in Andrew Jackson, the hero of New Orleans, who became the 7th President of the United States in 1829.

Brock was a great General when he captured Detroit he scared the occupants by making them think he had them outnumbered , he did this by having the same group of Indians run through a clearing visible to the fort and then running back unseen to repeat the process. The Fort Surrendered with little opposition

You know for the longest time i stubbornly beleived that Brock was in fact a canadian, but one day i looked i up on Wikipedia felt like a sword went through my heart lol

Blissfull Ignorance

Much more than America was. What was America doing soon after it gained independance, RG? Trying to build an empire of itself, and they called the British imperialist. :lol:

If Britain wasn't a generous empire, why is that a lot of nations had respect for Britain? While they don't for America?

I agree with the above statement and one should also consider definite particularities. It also depends on the circumstances on how the "locals" were treated. I am French-Canadian and in our case, London was never a problem in fact, if one considers the old antagonistic attitudes of their long joint history (from the 100 years war and on adding to it a strong religious incompatibility), most of the problems were in Canada itself with the Upper Canadian population attitudes vis-à-vis Lower Canada (for instance Ontario's regulation 17 just prior to WW I which made French language School illegal. Here was the conflictual source which impeded recruitment in Quebec since the law in question was very similar to the laws that had been imposed on France's Alsace and Lorraine by the Germans).

Having said that, the war of 1812 was very much supported by all Canadians on both side of the linguistic divide. Quite a few individuals such as General Brock and Charles de Salaberry are true Canadian heroes (in fact my favorite since they represent so well our country's rich dual culture. Charles de Salaberry A Biography

As an aside, my great uncle volunteered on October 26, 1914 and served in France (R22R one of the very first from 1914-18. He passed away in the early seventies). My Father and his brother also volunteered when they became eligible in the RCAF. My dad spent most of the war in Gander in the 10BR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back