What were the best seaplanes, flying boats, maritime patrol and scout aircraft of WW2

• Aichi E-13A (Scout Seaplane)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Arado Ar-196 (Scout Seaplane)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Vought OS2U (Scout Seaplane)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curtiss SOC (Scout Seaplane)

• OS2U Kingfisher (Scout Seaplane)

• Heinkel He 115 (Seaplane bomber)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • CANT Z.506 (Seaplane bomber)

• Mitsubishi F1M (Seaplane fighter)

• Nakajima A6M2-N (Seaplane fighter)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kawanishi N1K (Seaplane fighter)

• N-3PB (Seaplane fighter)

• Curtiss SC Seahawk (Seaplane fighter)

• FW 200 (long range maritime patrol fighter)

• PB4Y-2 (long range maritime patrol fighter)

• SM 79 (long range torpedo carrier)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Bristol Beaufort (long range torpedo carrier)

• Bristol Beaufighter (long range torpedo carrier / fighter)

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Ju 88 (long range torpedo carrier / dive bomber / fighter)

• PBY Catalina (Flying Boat)

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • PB2Y Coronado (Flying Boat

• Short Sunderland (Flying Boat)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Blohm and Voss BV 238 (Flying Boat)

• Blohm and Voss BV 222 (Flying Boat)

• Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" (Flying Boat)

• Kawanishi H8K "Emily" (Flying Boat)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admittedly a problematic omission, I thought I had added it so I'm a little perplexed. It won't let me edit the poll now that everyone has voted.

To my eye this H6K looks a bit like a four engined PBY, albeit maybe a tad longer and more ungainly.

h6k_type_97_transport_flying_boat_mavis_h6k-8s-jpg.jpg

whereas (again, to my eye) this clearly majestic and beautiful (if slightly portly) Sunderland which you so cruelly deride...

sunderland-photo-jpg.jpg
Beauty is as beauty does, and the Sunderland is truly majestic, but I can't gaze upon her majesty without the phrase "der fliegende stackelschwein" coming to mind and the many hapless opponents who tried to interfere with her mission and lost. Her Japanese counterpart, OTOH, looks sleeker and less majestic, and looking at her aesthetically, I just can't erase the many images I've seen of her and her sisters going down in flames.
By the way, I've checked in here after the polls were closed, so I'm disenfranchised, but that's okay, as this is an arena where I lack both expertise and strong opinions.
Cheers,
Wes

Beauty is as beauty does, and the Sunderland is truly majestic, but I can't gaze upon her majesty without the phrase "der fliegende stackelschwein" coming to mind and the many hapless opponents who tried to interfere with her mission and lost. Her Japanese counterpart, OTOH, looks sleeker and less majestic, and looking at her aesthetically, I just can't erase the many images I've seen of her and her sisters going down in flames.
By the way, I've checked in here after the polls were closed, so I'm disenfranchised, but that's okay, as this is an arena where I lack both expertise and strong opinions.
Cheers,
Wes

Slightly odd, since I didn't think I had put an expiration on the thread? But never fear- I started another with superior choices

Best flying boats, from War over the Wine Dark Sea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back