War Thunder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Broadside

Recruit
Oct 4, 2012
So I found this website when I was searching for more Italian planes to suggest that they add to a game that is in closed beta called War Thunder. I think it is something that some of you may like. Its a game for both casual and flight simmers. I will try to get beta keys if anyone wants to test the game, but I can not guarantee that I can get them. Many flight models and damage models are not complete yet, but they are working on it.

I had high hopes from the developer commentaries before the beta... But after the beta and seeing what it actually was....

It's a BS arcade game. 3rd person mouse flight, simplistic forces acting upon the planes, etc. They may be trying to put nice graphics on it, but much like some other notable games with good graphics, the content is utterly lacking where needed.

Also, it has this lame tier system where you have to fly the lowest, weakest, earliest plane in any particular faction/nation before you can earn points to "buy" upgrades to new planes. You have to buy additional crew for multi-gunned planes, and so forth. It's an utter waste of time. Once you get a couple of tiers up your faction to a plane you might like, the cost of just using that plane is so high you can't stay there for long.

Not to mention the VERY bug-ridden nature and the rather weak flight physics, which are just additional nails in the coffin.

I had high hopes for this game, and they are now all dashed. It's so bad I uninstalled the beta.

Not sure MM. Just saw that Steam has given it the GreenLight.

Steam Greenlight :: War Thunder

Be sure to watch the 3 videos.

That doesn't mean much. Doesn't negate any of the comments I added. That just means "the community is looking forward to this" -- well my comments come from actually trying out the beta.

Besides, the STEAM community greenlights a lotta idiotic games that get no further than a hype-filled release. War Thunder is not the answer if you're looking for a flight sim.

In fact, IL2 with all its mods (despite its excessive aging flight engine) is a far better game than War Thunder.

Well, since you have actually played it, I'll take your word for it. But I'm sure you know that things can change from beta to the actual release. Yes, I know that demos can even make Windows ME look great while in reality it completely sucks.

War Thunder is not the answer if you're looking for a flight sim. In fact, IL2 with all its mods (despite its excessive aging flight engine) is a far better game than War Thunder.

I still play it and I play Cliffs of Dover as well. War Thunder is for teeny boppers who have all day to play and rank up. Plus there are way to many ramers and griefers.

So I've been playing this (getting my but handed to me on all fronts)...gotta say, its really team based and pretty accurate. I can't boom and zoom as the Japanese, so I have to force turning fights or I'm outta luck...of course...the times when I can force a turning fight when they see me in a Japanese plane are few and far between.

In game handle: MacArther

Here's my take on this. It does look like a cool game to play. I registered and joined up. However, this is what I've been noticing without even going very far with the game. Heck I can't get past the second part of my training using my joystick. It states i need to decrease my power to 30% and I can't. Why? I've got my throttle pulled all the way down as far as it can and it wil not decrease further than 40%. Has anyone had issues using a joystick? If so, advise what I need to do to correct this. Yes, I assigned my toggle points on my joystick prior to the start of training part.

I'd like to hear what you use as your toggle points on your joystick you found very useful and easy to access to. (ie; bombs, rockets, etc...)

I'm also curious if you can get to choose any aircraft during the game? Or are you stuck with one particular A/C chosen and have to earn others.

You can respawn as long as you have fighter/bombers left in your cue (which starts at 3 slots IIRC). Also, I LOVE the Hurricane Mk. 1 and the Mk. 2 with the 12 gun wing! I have all their unlocks already. Beyond that though, my other nations get changes every time I'm on depending on what I think should be leveled up. Of note: The Ju-88 bomber version is absurd for the amount of speed it gains in diving and retaining the speed, as well as the amount of XP it gains for any sort of attacks! Also, the Blenheim is a viable Brit early bomber, though it takes a change of thought process, and a decent pilot/gunner level to be really fun to use.

I've tried playing it a few times...I can't shoot down NOTHING to save my life. lol it may be because they made it WAYY too realistic, or I have a yoke and rudder pedals to fly with (something I lacked in my last CFS game) or it could be I lst my dogfighting skills. LOL I may just go ahead and delete it

I've tried playing it a few times...I can't shoot down NOTHING to save my life. lol it may be because they made it WAYY too realistic, or I have a yoke and rudder pedals to fly with (something I lacked in my last CFS game) or it could be I lst my dogfighting skills. LOL I may just go ahead and delete it
Don't delete it! I use mouse and keyboard, and while I only sometimes get more than one air to air kill, I ALWAYS contribute for the ground attack role! Maybe try out mouse and keyboard! Not simplified version with the directional arrows on screen, but the version that relies on WASD keys and mouse.

I just started playing the open beta and so far am pretty pleased. True, the initial setup you get is an arcady 3rd person shoot-em-up, but that's not all there is. The "full realism" settings seem to include just about every element of control and engine management you have in the Il-2 Sturmovik series and the somewhat less serious "historical" setting is a very good middle ground - not unlike "base" Il2 without complex engine management. Graphics, sound, and music are absolutely outstanding if you have a decent rig and the options for different controller settings (including TrakIR) are very thorough. I haven't played it enough to get a feel for the accuracy of flight and damage models, but it seems to have real promise. Some may not like the "free-to-play" business model that forcese you to stay in very low tier airplanes until you earn enough credits to advance, but that doesn't bother me. You get what you pay for and if you want to "buy" more modern plans and game credits with real money you can.

Here's my take on this. It does look like a cool game to play. I registered and joined up. However, this is what I've been noticing without even going very far with the game. Heck I can't get past the second part of my training using my joystick. It states i need to decrease my power to 30% and I can't. Why? I've got my throttle pulled all the way down as far as it can and it wil not decrease further than 40%. Has anyone had issues using a joystick? If so, advise what I need to do to correct this. Yes, I assigned my toggle points on my joystick prior to the start of training part.

I'd like to hear what you use as your toggle points on your joystick you found very useful and easy to access to. (ie; bombs, rockets, etc...)

I'm also curious if you can get to choose any aircraft during the game? Or are you stuck with one particular A/C chosen and have to earn others.

Pay very close attention to the instructions in the joystick setup routines. If you are too slow you may not get it set up correctly. It took me several tries to get my throttle and rudder correctly adjusted. Beyond that, I found the WT assigned joystick and throttle settings more reliably than either Rise of Flight or Cliffs of Dover.

Regarding the last question, You must chose one base plane (usually a prewar biplane) from one nation to start, but as soon as you fly your first mission or two, all the nations open up and you get a few first tier planes for each (all virtually identical). Depending on your success in each nation, you unlock new planes pretty quickly, but then you have to earn experience and credits to be able to "buy" them. That can take a while. If you want to be flying a Fw190 or Corsair in the first week or so this may not be your game.

I love War Thunder. It's pretty awesome in my opinion. I don't play Arcade mode, I only play HB mode and FRB mode. "Historical battle and Full Real Battle" modes. It's continually improving. However it won't be only planes. They are also introducing Army and Fleet modes, with army coming at the end of the 2013 year. I've flown with both mouse and joystick. And do fine with both. I typically only use my Joystick in FRB mode because that's where mouse-aimers don't get any advantages.

FRB mode restricts you to cockpit, no 3rd person, joystick is best, no red dots showing you where the enemy is. More aircraft controls will come in the future as well.

I have only just downloaded it, and I spent 6 hours straight playing without blinking an eye!

To me, considering I downloaded it for free, I can already tell I am going to get lots of entertainment for little coin. I don't mind if I have to wait for a period of time to unlock different aircraft. To me, that is part of the fun.

I am close to unlocking the Beufighter now. I can't wait to unleash that.

I think those who are saying that the flight characteristics are poor need to play for a bit longer. I thought something similar that when I first started playing, but delve a little deaper and I think it is quite realistic, enough for me to be happy anyway.

For the money spent...zero, it is great.

I have only just downloaded it, and I spent 6 hours straight playing without blinking an eye!

To me, considering I downloaded it for free, I can already tell I am going to get lots of entertainment for little coin. I don't mind if I have to wait for a period of time to unlock different aircraft. To me, that is part of the fun.

I am close to unlocking the Beufighter now. I can't wait to unleash that.

I think those who are saying that the flight characteristics are poor need to play for a bit longer. I thought something similar that when I first started playing, but delve a little deaper and I think it is quite realistic, enough for me to be happy anyway.

For the money spent...zero, it is great.
The Beau is a Beast once you line your shots up!

Yeah you are not wrong there. It makes mince meat out of opponents. It isn't agile enough to stick it with the single seat figthers in the game, but keep your speed up and do slashing passes and it is very deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back