Warbird Rides - Joyflights! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back in 2006, both my girl friend and I got to fly in a PT-17. Was that a blast! And the best part it was FREE rides for veterans!

It was about a twenty minute ride. And the pilot did some very basic maneuvers. All I had to do was make certain my knees stayed clear of the stick!

This was my first ride in an open cockpit biplane!

Bill G.

Wished there was stuff like that here, but no one has the money or will to get some ol' warbirds back in flying condition. Anyways, some great shots you guys posted.

I forgot that I have also flown in an L-19 Bird Dog. It is a great photo ship for slower aircraft. I flew in it to photograph the wing walkers. Yes, we were that close. This shot was taken at 28mm!

Attachments

• DSC_9783.jpg
    DSC_9783.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 44
Warbird ride programs have varying costs. For me, the cost is usually to the aircraft operators. Because I am the photographer, I usually get paid to do this. Not that it isn't fun, but it is work too. Now that I think about it, I have only had one warbird "ride" in the last 10 years without the camera.

Some organizations, like the CAF, will give rides to volunteers as a way of thanking someone for the hard work. But the people who give the most get priority, which makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back