Warbirds over Wanaka 2016

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some cracking shots there Grant - good stuff.
I'm looking forward to this year's air show 'season' in the UK - hope to get to the 'American Air Show' at DX at the end of May, and hopefully 'Legends' and a couple of smaller shows too.
I had thought about going to the Jersey or Guernsey shows, but believe it or not, I haven't found a single 'package deal' for short breaks for the shows, and going via a scheduled flight is ridiculously expensive, relative to flying to, say, mid Europe - average return fare from Manchester is over £200 !!
Going for, say, three days would work out at well over £500 to £600, with transfers and accommodation, and that's not counting tickets for the various static parks at the airports and public parks - a bit much for what is, in essence, a 'sea front' air display, and a waste if the weather is cr@p !!

Thanks Terry; yes, airshows are not cheap and although I'm financially in a position to be able to afford to buy a VIP ticket to WOW, I still prefer to keep costs down by camping in a tent and driving myself down the country, rather than flying down and hiring a car. Mind you, that might be because its bleeding hard to get accommodation to WOW unless you book two years in advance and because I'm a tightarse.

I remember going to RIAT at Fairford one year and to save money I hitch hiked from Cirencester and stayed in a tent in a local farmer's field next to the airfield for 10 quid a night. Going to Fighter Meet at North Weald was always good; you could catch a tube all the way to Epping, then get a courtesy shuttle from the station to the airfield.

Yep, until last year, me, my mate Mick, and Karl (Rochie) did the camping thing for the Duxford shows, staying on a site at Fowlmere, just up the road.
Now I have the 'Tin Tent' (my camper van), which I've only used for the BoB show at DX last year, so far. But it means that Karl can have a 'bedroom' in a 'proper' tent, rather than crawl into what we swiftly named his 'dog kennel', after eleventeen pints and a couple of shots of 'Scottish White Wine', whilst I have the relative luxury of a bed, electric light, heating,and a solid roof over my head, and of course we all have the convenience of the fridge, cooker etc in the van, plus the 'seating area' under the wind-out awning, or the interior seating if it's cold and wet.
As you know, like most major air shows in the UK, hotel or B&B accommodation for the Duxford shows normally needs to be booked well in advance, hence the reason for getting the van - plus it's a lot cheaper too !
Unfortunately, due to this stupid disability these days, I need someone with me when I go to shows, to help out - at least if camping, anyway - and both Karl and Mick are restricted for time this year, so I'm not yet sure which shows I'll definitely get to. But there are a couple I could just about manage myself, although I might use B&Bs for some, to save having to drag my mobility scooter in and out of the van too often, 'cos that really b*gg*rs me up !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back