Warbirds over Wanaka 2016 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, I'll be posting a few pics from WOW 2016 over time as I get my act together, but for now, here's a wee taster...

DSC_5492_zpsphzosoza.jpg

DSC_6460_zpso3nm4x2g.jpg

DSC_6578_zpswlachvdj.jpg

DSC_6697_zpsaeskqdeo.jpg

DSC_7529_zpsj1bj4qa2.jpg

DSC_7532_zpswa1psewa.jpg

DSC_7603_zpsevhejn9h.jpg

DSC_7971_zpsw8m0aheu.jpg

DSC_8142%202_zps4oq0a6h2.jpg

DSC_8176%202_zpsacp749og.jpg

Thanks guys, for your comments. I'm in the process of sifting through and editing images for publication and I've written an article for the local aviation magazine, so I'll get to a synopsis of the show for here soon. I've also pitched piccies to Aeroplane Monthly, so hopefully they might get into that as well.

The "last one" is the Martin Jetpack. (www.martinjetpack.com) It's a single person VTOL flying device with about 30 minutes duration. At Wanaka it was flown pilotless by remote control, but at a recent Chinese show it was flown manned. It was VERY noisy, thanks to the 2-litre V4 engine!

Yep, the Martin Jetpack was extremely noisy and we felt a little let down that it flew unpiloted, to be honest. Nevermind.

WOW was a good show though and its star was undoubtedly John Romain's Buchon, which normally lives in the UK, but John, whose becoming something of a regular at New Zealand airshows, had it shipped down here for this year's WOW. A few images of what was my favourite aircraft at the show and the reason why I made the trip south.

Buchon%201_zpswulunyy4.jpg

Buchon%202_zpsadltynwh.jpg

Buchon%203_zpso3sdaag7.jpg

I was able to get close to the aircraft to get some good detailed shots, which I'll put up as a walkaround.

Buchon%204_zpsigcxgoaj.jpg

ObLt Romain looking determined to get into the action.

Buchon%205_zpssjytluea.jpg

Buchon%2017_zpsebsngpem.jpg

Buchon%2018_zps2pdvxp2l.jpg

Not the best photo, but an interesting effect around the prop.

Buchon%206_zpscumvb0sz.jpg

Buchon%207_zpsbeqxpvbt.jpg

More of the beautiful Buchon next.

These photos were taken across multiple displays at different times over a three day period. Unfortunately I haven't mastered getting the shutter speed right for creating a prop disc instead of freezing the props as here. I've tried, but the pics are never as clear as they are with a ultra fast shutter speed. More fiddling about, I fear.

Buchon%208_zpsndvyo8io.jpg

Buchon%209_zpsbqebevmz.jpg

Buchon%2010_zpsvroh41wr.jpg

Buchon%2011_zpshdlphmz2.jpg

Buchon%2012_zpsuvkhchm4.jpg

Buchon%2013_zpsewsntofu.jpg

Buchon and Yak in formation.

Buchon%2014_zpsc5z4fyfk.jpg

Buchon%2015_zpss03ltzs8.jpg

Buchon%2016_zpsxskouoad.jpg

Some say the best Messerschmitts are powered by Merlins (!). Next, Bill Reid's magnificent Anson I.

Last edited:
Great shots Grant, and I love the one with the prop-tip vortices - or are they spiral chemtrails ?!!!!
To get prop movement, a rule of thumb is to work on shutter priority, with the shutter speed set at roughly the focal length of the lens.
For example, with a 300mm lens, set the speed at 1/300th, or thereabouts.
On my Nikons, I set at 1/320th, or slightly less if conditions allow, and shoot at 400 ISO in clear weather.

Hi Terry, thanks for the tip. I've had that advice, but with the caveat that it takes practise! And my results doing that were nowhere near as clear as I wanted them. I have a Nikon too and I rattled off a few with Shutter priority selected, different shutter speeds and ISOs, but I was not happy with the results. I think I'm gonna need a monostick and more practise. Oh, and a bigger lens. I'm working with a 200mm one at the moment; it's okay, but I want MORE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back