Was the Vultee P-66 Vanguard really that bad?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While it is always possible that the NA-50/P-64, having already flown, might have served as inspiration to Lawrence Wackett in late 1941, there has been no evidence turned up in the last 80 years of any direct link back to the NA-50/P-64. The license held by CAC from NA allowed them to develop the basic NA-16 airframe as they chose, which is what led to the Wirraway. That is what they set out to do in Dec 1941 using an airframe (Wirraway) and engine (R-1830) already in production in Australia. Given the crisis, it makes sense really.

The Wiki article draws heavily on Francillon's Profile publication from 1967 and later research.
Just to nitpick for a moment, NA-50 was the designation for 7 single seat fighters built for Peru. The next design in line was the NA-50A, 6 of which were built for Siam (Thailand), but never left California. These were absorbed by the USAAF and became P-64s. The two fighters both used versions of the R-1820 and were roughly the same size, but differed in wingform and tail feathers. The NA-50s saw combat, the NA-50A/P-64s did not.

The p-64 fascinates me. Just a handful of obsolete fighters sitting in California. What did they use them for exactly? Just to build flight time? Practicing dogfighting tactics? Beer runs to Mexico? All of the above?

The p-64 fascinates me. Just a handful of obsolete fighters sitting in California. What did they use them for exactly? Just to build flight time? Practicing dogfighting tactics? Beer runs to Mexico? All of the above?
All the above possibly. The P-64 and P-66 for anything else would be perfect advanced trainers and squadron hacks, aircraft to build up some flight time, some aerobatics and dog fighting tactics. I've seen a photo of a P-64 with an ADF antenna behind the cockpit, possibly used for navigation and instrument training.

The NA-69 was basically an armed T-6 with an R-1820 replacing the R-1340. Thailand bought some but they were intercepted by the US Govt, given the designation A-27, and redirected to the PI where they used as trainers for the new fighter pilots that had arrived there.

There is one P-64 left; the EAA has it.

And don't be too scornful of it. After 7 Dec 1941 the USAAF was flying P-26's to defend HI; they had lost so many P-36 and P-40. A P-64 or P-66 or even an A-27 would have looked great to them. I think that some of the P-66 were stationed on Terminal Island in Los Angeles Harbor and defended the port after PH.
NA-69 port.jpg
A-27s_on_Nichols_Field.jpg
P-64-EAA.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back