Weathering a White Aircraft

Discussion in 'Painting Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks' started by dirkpitt289, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 Active Member

Computer Guy
    I'm getting to the point in my Wellington build where I need to start thinking about weathering and highlighting. The Wellington is wearing the white Coastal Command paint scheme. What would be the best method to highlight panel lines on the tail and flap sections? What would be the best method to highlighting some of the geodetic pattern on the wings and fuselage? I usually use oils but am open to other suggestions. I hope to have it decaled and future coated by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance:oops:

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

I would suggest a light gray wash to highlight the panels. Keep it very light as you can always make it progressively darker unitl you get the effect you want.

Not sure what you'd wanty ot achieve on the geodesic pattern. I personally wouldn't do anything but if you did want to highlight them, you could try applying a thin wash of a slightly darker base colour (green or gray, depending where you are) and then wiping it off lightly, leaving the wash in the low points.

3. magnu

magnu Member

tattoo artist
    With my Bf110 build in the current GB I used pastels which I found worked really well.
    Have a read of Wayne s how to in the weathering section it will tell you all you need to know.