Weird World War 2 Facts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder said:
Temecula, not bad! Ugh, fuel leaks! I was hoping you might be up our way. Oh well, maybe one of these days.

Yea, I'm hoping! If the Camarillio airshow doesn't work out, I'm going to try to hook up with Doug (the guy who owns the L-29 I fly) and od Point Mugu.

I really really doubt it would kill a rabbit or much less anything else especially at that distance. Power dissipates at 1/R^2 (not to mention antenna focus and pulse power) so by one km your down considerably from what you started with. If you think about it and this radar was so powerful why not use it as a death ray of sorts.

I remember when I was in the AF, radar maintenance was working on an antenna and had the thing facing downward. Someone inadvertently turned it on for a moment while it was in that position. It bubbled the paint off a staff car 100 yards away! It was a damn good thing no one was standing out there, or in the staff car.

I'm not discrediting that at all Evan. But you'd have to have a damn lot of power to kill a rabbit. I'd really like to see some info on this radar! Maybe I'll get to finally use some of those equations that were driven into my brain last semester!

This has been documented, I'll have to find it.

I worked on B737-800s, it had very powerful weather radar. We were told this could also "cook things" that ran in front of the radome. It was able to paint terrian targets (buildings and mountains) when sitting on the ground.

I hear you, Dave. Alot of it depends on beam focus. If tight from the feedhorn and the geometry of the dish is to the right spec, you can have a very narrow beam leaving the dish that has a majority of the power in a tight circle. I worked on tropo shots as well as other radio gear in the AF. Depending on the power output, you can cook something very quickly.

Well our aviation technicians use some kind of hand held radar (do not ask me too much info about it I do not know what kind or how powerful it is but I will ask them at work tomorrow) that can supposably fry your nuts if you are in front of it.

It wont kill you but will make you shoot blanks for the rest of your life. They use it to test out our APR-39's which let us know the location of SAM's.

Continuous wave radar of the type found in the majority of fire control systems focuses the beam along a steady bearing as it illuminates a target, and they're very powerful. They can and will kill unprotected creatures, even at fair distances. The frequency, power, and beam focus of tactical and higher powered navigational pulse and pulse-doppler radars will cause harm to anyone standing in front of them, but I didn't think EE Lightnings carried anything quite powerful enough to kill rabbits from the air or the ground. :lol:

My understanding on this was the radar could kill critters while the aircraft was on the ground.

You know, NS, I'm going to get a F.6 Lightning to fly Mach 2.3 and ram it's pitot right up your arse. How's that sound? :lol:

I don't know if the Lightning's RADAR could kill a rabbit - but then they hardly turned their RADAR on while on the ground anyway, maybe that's why. You'd get loads of dead rabbits all over the airfield... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back