Westland Whirlwind revisited

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been quite a while since I've done engine rebuilding or even done any major wrenching.

But quite a few engines have a "core" or "crossing point" where the firing order centers.

Without my automotive books, I have to go by memory, so the SB Chevy 283 Will work as an example.

If we wanted to make a V-4 out of the 283, follow the firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
If you remove the front cylinders 1 and 2, then the rear cylinders 7 and 8, you'll be left with a 4 cylinder that has a firing order of 4-3-6-5.

That would require some work (as noted) but would provide relatively smooth performance.

One thing I do recall, is that VW's Type I four-banger has a "circular" firing order, which always puzzled me.

And the Hudson used the twin wasp as well.

The Twin Wasp installation in the first 57 Australian Beauforts was 100% Hudson from the firewall forward except for the prop and they added a filler in the bottom of the dishpan where the oil cooler went on the Hudson and that bottom cowl was different.

The Hudson exhaust was also used on the first 57 aircraft with minimal changes made on the later exhausts.

The CAC designed cowl gills using most parts from the Boomerang cowl gills were used on the later aircraft.
The Hudson with the twin wasp engine startled me until I remembered this is an airplane forum

The Hudson with the twin wasp engine startled me until I remembered this is an airplane forum
You were expecting these??
Fabulous-Hudson-Hornets-beach-314.jpg

Going back in History the Liberty V-12 was also made in V-8 and straight 6 and 4 cylinder versions. The last may have been something to see run, A 9 liter 4 cylinder engine, not the largest for sure but mounting it an aircraft that won't disassemble itself could be a trick. But that was early days.
How about a V-16, like the Chrysler IV-2220. Per Wikipedia a P-47 with this engine made over 500 mph. I wonder why we stopped at V-12s? Fiat made a V-24 engine!

I suppose in this tandem format a near infinite number of cylinders is possible, sticking another V-12 onto the stack, limited only by the length of the aircraft and the strength of the crank and synchronicity of the ever lengthening ignition and air/fueling systems.

Last edited:
How about a V-16, like the Chrysler IV-2220. Per Wikipedia a P-47 with this engine made over 500 mph. I wonder why we stopped at V-12s? Fiat made a V-24 engine!
Wiki lied :)

The Chrysler "V-16" was actually two V-8s put together, This was actually a trick that many straight 8s used. The crankshafts were fastened together but there was a "tower" between the engine "blocks" that held the cam drives and some other accessories.

2288925_original.jpg

Chrysler_IV-2220_%281%29.png

Notice the space where the engine mount is and the gap in the cylinder spacing.

This allowed the engine to act like two V-8s as far as vibration problems went.
2288066_original.jpg

Not quite the same as adding 4 cylinders to a V-12 ;)
The Fiat was sort of the same. Two V-12s placed end to end and the rear engine drove the supercharger.
I believe engine each engine drove 1/2 of the counter rotating propeller? Drive shaft from the rear engine went through the V of the forward engine?
Not saying it could not be done. I am saying it was a lot more complicated than it looks at first glance.

Two tachometer drives off a single shaft. I wonder why when the two halves of the engine are directly connected and running at the same speed.

1677531743160.png

Love the diagrams and photo - what book are they from?

The Fiat was sort of the same. Two V-12s placed end to end and the rear engine drove the supercharger.
I believe engine each engine drove 1/2 of the counter rotating propeller? Drive shaft from the rear engine went through the V of the forward engine?
Not saying it could not be done. I am saying it was a lot more complicated than it looks at first glance.

That is correct.

The rear engine drove the front prop, and the front engine the rear prop.

Unlike the Chrysler V16, the two crankshaft halves were independent of one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back