A friend (who recently passed) and I used to fly from Redding's Benton airfield (O85) to Red Bluff (RBL) just to have lunch at Valeigh's airpark cafe.
It was always worth the expense.
That is one place I have stopped at!
Our friend was getting married at Jack's Peak Park in Monterey.
I picked up my sister and husband and a 3 year old in Yakima (YKM) in the 310, and off we went IFR that morning to attend, 607NM away.
We started out in the clear but were solid on the descent out of about 11K. It was cold and we picked up some quick mixed ice, as I got vectors for the DME arc. I had not flown one in anger before. Wife was asking about that ice. LOL it will come off soon. I knew the temps were quite warm below. It departed as quickly as it came on with a little staccato on the side of the nose from the props.
We got in, and fueled up and had a late breakfast there. I taxied back out and was on hold for an arrival, and out of the clag comes this San Juan Airlines Beech 99, LOL.
They had been sold and broken up. My dear friend and instructor of all ratings flew the 99 for them for a few years.
I get up and on center frequency in solid IFR @7K or so. This familiar voice says "hi guy" on center. WTF?
I had to listen a few but I figured it out. It was another instructor friend Roy, flying commuter around the area. He was up and down and we parted ways with a "bye Guy" as we left his frequency.
Anyway, we were firmly esconced in cloud the whole way from there to Monterey. The only thing I saw was opposite direction traffic, a C130 above us in a hole between layers.
We were late and had to hustle but made the wedding.
On the way home it was nicer weather and I had that 3 year old standing in my lap and operating the yoke for a moment, much to the alarm of his father in the back seat. Lighten up Francis!
It was lovely and we flew right up the Oregon Cascades and saw our reflection in Crater Lake as we passed overhead.
Thanks for dredging up that memory.