What book are you reading ??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"To The Last Round" by Andrew Salmon. Story of the Brit 29th Brigade, including the "Glorious Glosters" at the Battle of the Imjin, 1951. Only just started but was hooked from the intro. The author has done his homework and it's very well written. Likely to become the definitive history of this incredible, but forgotten, last-stand battle. Wish they'd make a film of it.

I recently finished George Burling's book, Malta Spitfire. It's an interesting look at the siege of Malta from a firsthand perspective.

Back on the Wheel of Time series now - for the 3rd time I think...

14 x Lord of the Rings sized novels means that you never remember everything that happened...:lol:

Just found some of spare time for reading "Witold Urbanowicz's memories"

Urbanowicz.jpg

Various at the moment
The Lake in the woods - Tim O'brien about a Vietnam Vet

Is History Fiction - Two Australian Doctors talking about historians slanting history to fit their own beliefs

A walk in the woods - Bill Bryson humourous account of his travels

Crimes against humanity - Documenting just that

Ah...I love Tim O'Brien and have read just about all his stuff. And of course "The Things They Carried" is arguably the best-ever book about Vietnam. "The Lake" is also an awesome book, I felt, and to me was very different for O'Brien. It almost had some horror novel qualities to it, in a very subtle way. I might have to re-read it one of these days, as your post reminded me of how much I enjoyed it. I look forward to discussing it with you when you finish, if you like. As it does have a sort of open ending that is up to personal interpretation. Thanks!

I just finished "A Higher Call"--which is the true story of an incredible incident between an American B-17 pilot and a German Me-109 fighter pilot during WWII. Wow! One of the best and most inspirational books I have ever read on WWII. Or, really, in any subject. Highly recommended, and I would almost term it a 'must read' for any WWII Warbird buff.

Reading this at the moment, skipping back and forward.
It's a lot better than some reviews make out, with quite a lot of info on KG3 and KG53, the training and method of release, the aircraft, and the system and equipment fitted for air launching the V1, including detail not normally seen in the photos most widely published, which is useful for modellers.
Interesting, as there are a couple of local connections, where V1s landed not far from where I live, the craters of some still being visible.
And I also learned that some of these missiles contained a cardboard tube, launched from the tail, which held propaganda leaflets and / or copies of 'Signal' magazine. - so learned something.
Worth a read, and as I found it at a bargain price, in hard-back, I'm happy enough with it.

He-111 KG26 Build 310.jpg

Gun Button to Fire by Tom Neil.

Great read so far about the authors experiences flying Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain.

Cheers Greg :pilotsalute:

Just finished Virginia and the Kidd, blends historical fact with a fictional romance with news correspondent Virginia Irwin.
Loved it, especially as the 4th FG is of particular interest to me and Debden quite local.
His famous dog Duke is with him all the way!
C127FE1C-6FA7-43AF-AE4C-BDDE99A421BA.jpeg
DAB93EDB-C92B-4C26-9EBA-3257842E8C01.jpeg

One man airforce. Read it...well it's short, more of a flick through. Loved every bit of it though.
Still want to pickup the paperback.
Just starting another 4th FG book.
Delayed Legacy.
F23A936A-629B-419A-B849-390C29614278.png
BF191AE2-D1E7-40F3-973D-4C0FA9999475.jpeg

Just finished Happy Jack's Go Buggy.
Nice old feel to it as written in 1946, although not published till 8.
Just starting "The Flying Greek"
Steve Pisanos 4th FG who was based at Debden not far from me.

Attachments

• 9442CFF2-315F-4234-8DE9-D355059287A6.jpeg
    9442CFF2-315F-4234-8DE9-D355059287A6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 412BA911-873C-4BC4-A10C-3E5D9B79F1CF.jpeg
    412BA911-873C-4BC4-A10C-3E5D9B79F1CF.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 26
Found this one at a used book store and had to get it. Just starting in, not bad so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_145015.jpg
    IMG_20210818_145015.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 22
Just started Race of Aces about Bong, McGuire and even Lindbergh in the SW Pacific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back