What country produced your favourite aircraft? (1 Viewer)

Which country produced your favorite aircraft?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But the Wirrawar was a license built T-6 and the Boomarang was a development of it, so the Boomarang was a development of a US plane. ;)
So I guess you could say it has shared heritage :)

Hello Watanbe

Aussie ehh.. well then don't forget your very indigenous flying object the BOOMERANG. :)

As for me it would be Germany and the USA or USA and Germany, whatever, all the other countries just produced flying machines not really AIRCRAFTS.

Okay now let's lean back and wait for the Englanders to come :D :rightfighter2: :angryfire:

Regards
Kruska

You know how to strap on the hob nail boots and jump in - lol.

I have about six different 'favorite' planes - some debatable as Best or Most Important or just plain pretty

B-17, P-51B, F4U, Ta 152, Spit XIV and Mossie

There are six others that I didn't mention that are just not my favorites but truly great a/c

Fw 190D and Me 109G, C-47, Lancaster, B-29 and A-26

So the clear predjudice is US with UK and LW a close second on the 'subjective scale'. The US seems to be unarguably the one that developed top notch quality and quantity of every type a/c for every mission in the shortest possible time.

The Luftwaffe produced the top Fighter, and just because of advances in jet propulsion, the most important cross section of advanced systems in fighters/recon/medium bomber and rockets of all dimensions. They had the 50's in their hands in 1945.

The Brits put many innovative a/c in the air but also some of the best advances in radar, bombsights, gunsights and little things that made a difference like G Suits.

I was still studying German and Brit thought leaders in aero in the 60's

I think I have to vote Britain, but its hard to choose to be hones

My favourites are (for today at least)

Mosquito
Tempest
Beafighter
Stringbag (who cant love the darlin)

I am partial to some of the jap planes as well

Emily
Dinah
Myrt
Grace

US
B-29
B-17
B-24

Soviet
Yak-3
Il-2
Tu-2

Italian
MC 200, 202, 2005

Germany

Me 262
AR 234
FW189

To be honest, I like all aircraft, have done so for years. Dont know much, but I love to watch em fly, and love to read about them too. Its the little boy in me I guess

Surprised you chose the 'B' model of the Mustand Drgn. Any thoughts why?

Yeah - with the malcom hood it had a classy but lethal look - just as a 109G appears to me. Nasty predators.

Then, simply it was a better performing version than any until the P-51H two years later. Major 'bad' on it were the stupid angle mounts and belt feed mech - saved a lot of german lives... and not discovering the wheel door uplock issue as well as the ammo door distorsion under high lift conditions.

I've talked to many 51 jocks that talk wistfully about the climb, acceleration and turn advantages of the B/C over the D. But they liked the D armament, the better reliability and the visibility and still felt it was better than the 'other guy' just not QUITE as manueverable.. that extra 900 pounds did make a small to medium difference.

I'll opt for Canadian made
Mossie
Lanc
Catalina
Helldiver

only thing lacking is a better fighter but the Brits didn't think the colonials were capable of making Spits so all we had for fighter was the Hurri, funny thing though 5 years later we were making their Sabres until they had something capable on line
but in all seriousness I'd go for the US all round they made better aircraft
the
B24
P51
Catalina
Dak
Corsair
ad infinitum

And you say that others are biased....:lol:

Naw its cool man!

Well, this IS a favorites thread. 8)

Seriously though, every other week or so, when I come home from work, I check out the newsstand and magazine rack and find a magazine with yet more articles devoted to either the P-51 or the Me-262. I often wonder the true capabilities of the more famous aircraft when compared with their pilot skills. Enough about these aircraft already!

My favorite US/German aircraft happen to be, coincidentally, trainers: the PT-22 Recruit and the Bucker Bu 131. I never see any articles written about them or their international counterparts.

Oh, and final note - I'm hearing from other aviation enthusiats that a retired USAF officer-now aircraft restorer at Dayton Ohio's WPAFM-is currently writing a book or article on his latest research of the Me-163 Komet. He theory is based mostly on mounting evidence that most of the Me-163 engine and structural failures were due not to faulty design, but to sabotage during their contruction by *gasp* French slave laborers.

Paper/or book ( mosty likely a lengthy article ) to be published this coming Fall. I'll forward it here if I ever come across it.

I always thought that the P-51 B had nicer lines and was aesthetically more pleasing than the P-51D. The P-51 A had very nice lines too. The Mustang I's and II's in RAF service were very attractive aircraft, maybe the nicest of the lot.

I'm a bit out of the flow with my choice but even as a kid in the early 60's I did and still do love the Fairey Swordfish as a fighter Its the Spitfire as a mean son of a bitch its the Stuka and as representing what a nation did for others a long way from home I go for the B17 (thats why Im as Sally B supporters member) the list I have is too long for this thread but most represent the young men who never went home rather than the machines themselves having said that a flight of Spites sweeping down the field at Duxford makes the hairs on the back of my neck tingle I can tell you.

I'm partial to the P-47-D or N, the Do-335 Pfeil, the TA-152, the Martin B-26 Marauder, the P-61 Black Widow, the A-26 Invader, the F4U Corsair. I could go on but you guys would probably get bored to death.:-k

It's big, it's blue, it's the F4U, USA. The designer, Rex Beisel,sounds like a German. A close second would be the Spit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back