What If...... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They would have wanted better and better bombers.

1) it wasn't up the avro to decide if they needed a better bomber, the government asked for it
2) the use of halifax's and stirlings would show the need for a better bomber...................

ah, yes, i couldn't imagine anything else with an upkeep or grand slam, especily not a wimpy.............

The thing was, the RAF considered the Manchester to be a heavy bomber. If the engines had worked I don't think neither Avro nor the British government would have considered installing the four engines to make the Lancaster. Even if the British government decided they needed a better heavy bomber, I doubt it would had the appearance of the Lanc. It probably would have been something else all together.

I think they would have, knowing British military mentallity, they do stick to a good design when it's needed, and they are also trying to cut costs (even in war time), designed off something that is already there benefits them, greatly.

Possibly, the British did develop some outstanding aircraft out of some flops. But I'm not sure they would have taken a good aircraft (the Manchester if the engines worked) and try to substantially improve it. Assuming the Vultures worked I think the RAF might have tried mounting four of them and producing a bomber of B-29 type proportions.

I think we could trust Rolls Royce to make a brilliant engine, even from scratch.

If we didn't have the spit in the BOB i think the battle would have been lost

Attachments

• se5a4_163.gif
    se5a4_163.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 933
The Vulture WAS a Rolls Royce engine, so was the Peregrine, were they "brilliant?" It is true that Rolls Royce had two brilliant success with the Merlin and the Griffon, but they (like most every company) had as many flops as well.

the spit could take anything according to mrs banks, including the title of best biplane fighter :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back