What Happened to "Butch" O'Hare? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good points and suggestion Charles.

Fly boy, this is not a case of making a mistake. You have displayed a pattern of borderline illiteracy.

The browser Firefox has spell check available. I'm a terrible speller but I use it all the time.

or

Copy and paste your posts into "Word" to check for spelling

Do a quick Google search on a subject before you start a thread.

Hey mods, can you remove the American flag from his country Id? Perhaps if people think he's from Kazakhstan, it wont be so embarrassing.

Well seeing as this has gone off-topic i thought i'd share a very interesting story related to Butch O'Hare (posted at Ubi some months ago):

Many years ago, Al Capone virtually owned Chicago.. Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. He was notorious for enmeshing the windy city in everything from bootlegged booze and prostitution to murder.

Capone had a lawyer nicknamed 'Easy Eddie.' He was Capone's lawyer for a good reason. Eddie was very good! In fact, Eddie's skill at legal manoeuvring kept Big Al out of jail for a long time

To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well. Not only was the money big, but also, Eddie got special dividends. For instance, he and his family occupied a fenced-in mansion with live-in help and all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago City block.

Eddie lived the high life of the Chicago mob and gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on around him.

Eddie did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly. Eddie saw to it that his young son had clothes, cars, and a good education. Nothing was withheld. Price was no object. And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong.. Eddie wanted his son to be a better man than he was.

Yet, with all his wealth and influence, there were two things he couldn't give his son; he couldn't pass on a good name or a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Easy Eddie wanted to rectify wrongs he had done.

He decided he would go to the authorities and tell the truth about Al; 'Scarface' Capone, clean up his tarnished name, and offer his son some semblance of integrity. To do this, he would have to testify against The Mob, and he knew that the cost would be great.. So, he testified.

Within the year, Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago Street

But in his eyes, he had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer, at the greatest price he could ever pay. Police removed from his pockets a rosary, a crucifix, a religious medallion, and a poem clipped from a magazine.

The poem read:

'The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power To tell just when the hands will stop At late or early hour.. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still.';

STORY NUMBER TWO

World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Lieutenant Commander Butch O'Hare.

He was a fighter pilot assigned to the aircraft carrier Lexington in the South Pacific.

One day his entire squadron was sent on a mission. After he was airborne, he looked at his fuel gauge and realized that someone had forgotten to top off his fuel tank.

He would not have enough fuel to complete his mission and get back to his ship.

His flight leader told him to return to the carrier. Reluctantly, he dropped out of formation and headed back to the fleet.

As he was returning to the mother ship he saw something that turned his blood cold: a squadron of Japanese aircraft was speeding its way toward the American fleet.

The American fighters were gone on a sortie, and the fleet was all but defenseless. He couldn't reach his squadron and bring them back in time to save the fleet. Nor could he warn the fleet of the approaching danger. There was only one thing to do. He must somehow divert them from the fleet.

Laying aside all thoughts of personal safety, he dove into the formation of Japanese planes. Wing-mounted 50 caliber's blazed as he charged in, attacking one surprised enemy plane and then another. Butch wove in and out of the now broken formation and fired at as many planes as possible until all his ammunition was finally spent.

Undaunted, he continued the assault. He dove at the planes, trying to clip a wing or tail in hopes of damaging as many enemy planes as possible and rendering them unfit to fly.

Finally, the exasperated Japanese squadron took off in another direction.

Deeply relieved, Butch O'Hare and his tattered fighter limped back to the carrier.

Upon arrival, he reported in and related the event surrounding his return. The film from the gun-camera mounted on his plane told the tale. It showed the extent of Butch's daring attempt to protect his fleet.

He had, in fact, destroyed five enemy aircraft.
This took place on February 20, 1942 , and for that action Butch became the Navy's first Ace of W.W.II, and the first Naval Aviator to win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A year later Butch was killed in aerial combat at the age of 29. His home town would not allow the memory of this WW II hero to fade, and today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man.

So, the next time you find yourself at O'Hare International, give some thought to visiting Butch's memorial displaying his statue and his Medal of Honor. It's located between Terminals 1 and 2.

SO WHAT DO THESE TWO STORIES HAVE TO DO WITH EACH OTHER?

Butch O'Hare was 'Easy Eddie's' son.

You guys probably are aware that flyboy's style of posting is actually quite common amongst younger forum posters. They eschew any use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and never capitalize.

Perhaps they see themselves as another ee cummings or something. (Of course, that's giving them credit for actually KNOWING who ee cummings IS.)

While old farts view the style as being lazy, they see it as "efficient" and an "anti-establishment" sort of thing.

You guys probably are aware that flyboy's style of posting is actually quite common amongst younger forum posters. They eschew any use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and never capitalize.

I understand the way the younger guys post, I got three of 'em in my family. But fly boy goes way beyond the "style".

I still say he's puttin' us on, or he's in really deep trouble.

TO

I think the admins should have a little chat with him regarding his spelling and grammar.

If he thinks its "cool" or "Cute", nows the time to stop such idiocy.

Perhaps they see themselves as another ee cummings or something. (Of course, that's giving them credit for actually KNOWING who ee cummings IS.)

While old farts view the style as being lazy, they see it as "efficient" and an "anti-establishment" sort of thing.

There is a huge difference between:

gr8! cu thr! (great! see you there).

and

greeate cee youj thire (elbow typing)

It is true that text messaging and e-mails are truncating our language but that is not what I see here.

I do give him credit for being interested in "Butch" O'Hare but I wouldn't be surprised if "Butch" O'Hare was dis_gusted at the laziness.

Schwarze_13,

Great story.

And on fly boy, I believe some of his posts have been via cell phone, though this still doesn't explain or excuse alot of the posts. (gross gramatical and spelling errors are NOT shorthand)

I think the admins should have a little chat with him regarding his spelling and grammar.

If he thinks its "cool" or "Cute", nows the time to stop such idiocy.

I'll second that motion. I may have one of the poorest educations on this
forum (7th grade), but if I don't know how to spell a word, I find out before
I make a perfect @ss of myself [besides,.... who's perfect ?]

Charles

the only comparision to our inept teets and ee cummings is seemingly the inability to capitalize...TO my knowledge..he could spell(even sans spellcheck, WHO KNEW!?) and I coulda(sic) swore he could punctuate and had a grasp on some form of grammar.

but, KUDOS on the Cummings reference!! FTW! You guys never cease to amaze and downright stupify me...THEN again...OH look SHINY!!!! (NO, i'm NOT blonde anymore)

Hi

I dont want to buy into this, but I have to say something....I hope you know this guy, because I dont. If you dont, have you considered that he might actually have a disability, and might actually be typing with his elbows or something? Probably not, but it would be very bad if he is a disabled person doing the best he can

Here comes the guilt trip.

Parsifal, there are several members here I'm sure who have disabilities, (one I know for sure who has trouble typing) that is accepted. But flyboy had been able to express himself and even respond in a somewhat rational way. If a disbility was involved I'm sure he would let us know.

But from his posts and grammar used ("dude!!") its nothing but lazy.

Drive-by texting.

This is ridiculous, totally off topic and won't do the thread any good. If he won't or can't spell - no matter why - then let him. But I have to say that he wasn't the one starting the rants.

Maybe he is legastenic, maybe not. It's absolutely not important to me. When nobody answers his question because nobody can understand him, it's his own problem. But all this flame war stuff is for kids and people who behave like kids, not for grown up people. So please let's stop this and get back to the topic. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Krabat

a good point krabat, Ive said my piece, now lets move on.

Well, sorry folks, have no idea what happened to the guy, except that one day he didnt come back.

My favourite radio transcript relates to the Coral Sea action, and its poignancy reaches across more than 60 years. it was the final conversation between Commander Ault, and the Yorktown.

Aults final exchange (running low on fuel and hopelessly lost), is filled with the stoic heroism that was the trademark of the USN Navy pilots

Yorktown: Nearest land is over 200 miles away
Ault: We would never make it
Yorktown: Your on your own, good luck
Ault: Please relay to lexington. we got a 1000lb bomb on a flat top. We have both reported two or three times. Enemy fighters. Am altering course North. Let me know if you pick me up.
Roger. You are on your own. I will relay your message. Good Luck.
Ault: Ok. so long people. We gotta 1000 pounder on a flat top!

It was the last anyone heard or saw of Bill Ault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back