What If......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the Germans could have gotten the Go-229 into service they would have put the best available pilots into it, just the they did with the 262 with JV 44 and Kommando Nowenty (however you spell).

Kommando Nowotny;JV 44; Kommando Schenck; JG 7 I believe were all Me-262A-1a wings.

And were the most elite pilots left in the Luftwaffe. If the Germans were smart (and they usually were) they would have given these pilots the Go-229 when it became available.

They certainly would, and they wouldn't have just thrown them in it. Kommando Nowotny was originally EKdo 262, a training wing. I imagine you would have heard of EKdo 229 before the full G--229 wings came about.

It would depend on the situation of the war. If the Go-229 came into service before the Germans were not yet completely desparate, there would have been the usual conversion process. As it was, most likely the Go-229 would have only made it into action in the very last days when it probably would have been thrown into the fight without the usual niceties.

even if you have a great plane like the 229, as i kep saying, it would have come in to late to do anything, the germans didn't have the pilots or fuel to use it much................

the lancaster kicks ass said:
it's the same in the pacific, when the shiden came along, the japs gave it to all their best pilots.................

I assume you mean the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden:
shinden4.jpg

This aircraft never made it to operational service, making its first test flight on August 3, 1945. The prototype made two flights, for a total time of about 45 minutes. Before any further flights could be completed, the war ended.

The Shinden saw no service during the war. And I hope you were refering to the N1K2-J Shiden as the N1K1 had another of very real problems. That being said, the pilots given a chance to fly the Shiden were the very best the Japanese had left including Sakai and Nishizawa.

Oh, the "George". My bad. I'm not used to seeing it called Shiden, that's why I thought it was a typo.

But the Shinden would probably have been pretty good if it had made it into action. I find the various canard pusher fighter designs pretty interesting, like the Shinden, the American XP-55 Ascender, and the German Henschel Hs P.75

I'm not familiar with the Hs. P.75 but the XP-55 Ascender was junk. The J7W Shinden also had some very real problems with vibration and extreme engine torque but the Japanese were hoping to cure both problems my installing a jet engine.

Yeah they had their problems, but I still find the idea interesting. As for the Hs P.75, here's some pics and info from www.luft46.com, a great source for German aircraft designs that may have made it into combat had the war dragged on longer.

"This 1941/1942 design was for a single seat fighter built around a single 2200 hp Daimler Benz DB 610 engine, which was actually two DB 605 engines joined side-to-side. In order to accommodate the unusually long powerplant, a forward canard/rear wing planform was designed. Counterrotating pusher propellers were to be centrally mounted aft. Swept elevators at the nose served as elevators, while the vertical stabilizer was mounted below the rear of the fuselage. Landing gear was of the retractable tricycle type. Projected armament was to be four MK 108 30mm cannon mounted in the forward fuselage."

3bhsp75.jpg

Model photos of the plane:
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/seymour/32/hsp75mp.html

And some fantastic paintings:
http://www.luft46.com/aoart/aop75.html

Well with an attack from france it could have happend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back