What If...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes but it is the plane du jur to impersonate a 109 which makes my teeth itch. For example, don't tell me that Steven Spielberg did not have the budget or the moxie to have even the Hispano versions of the 109 in Last Crusade.

It is a great plane and very similar to the 109 in look, but its not a 109!

My two very exasperated yen.
I'm better now.

):{/ grrrrrr

I would think the fav 109 imposter be the Ha-1112's. They have been used in many films including The Battle of Britain and Memphis Belle. They look much closer to a 109 than a 108 also.[/quote]

You have to admit though in the Battle of Britain they did look very cool. BTW, there is, at least here in the US a new edition of this movie with tons of extras, commentaries, and 5.1 dolby surround. The same thing for A Bridge to Far. Both are on my Santa list.

:{)

I never said that the Bf-108 was a 109. I think that I said that the 1112s were the better impersonators than the 108's. Infact the only movie that I can recall 108's being used is the "Last Crusade".

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I never said that the Bf-108 was a 109. I think that I said that the 1112s were the better impersonators than the 108's. Infact the only movie that I can recall 108's being used is the "Last Crusade".

Oh I am not dis-agreeing with you. When I saw The Battle of Britain as a small child who only thought a ME-109 was a ME-109, I thought the 1112 were the bomb because I thought they were the real deal. In fact I did not like 633 squadron because of the use of the 108 and to a certain point I still don't, the book series is much better. In the longest day I can forgive them some becuase I know that during the filiming I don't think any 190's were flying then.

I am just anal when it comes to accuracy with aircraft in movies. Use the correct plane, that what a budget is for! For example in Pearl Harbor my wife had to tell me to shut up because I was relating which Zeros were real or Texan rebuilts.

cheddar cheese said:
Theyre used in The Longest Day and 633 Squadron too.

Sorry I forgot about those. I remember the scene now of the 108 flying down the beach.

CurzonDax said:
Oh I am not dis-agreeing with you. When I saw The Battle of Britain as a small child who only thought a ME-109 was a ME-109, I thought the 1112 were the bomb because I thought they were the real deal. In fact I did not like 633 squadron because of the use of the 108 and to a certain point I still don't, the book series is much better. In the longest day I can forgive them some becuase I know that during the filiming I don't think any 190's were flying then.

I am just anal when it comes to accuracy with aircraft in movies. Use the correct plane, that what a budget is for! For example in Pearl Harbor my wife had to tell me to shut up because I was relating which Zeros were real or Texan rebuilts.

That is what I was saying. They use those aircraft because they have no choice but to use them because there a not a bunch of 109's or Zeros flying around today.

Thats what was so clever about The Battle Of Britain. They had a group of two or 3 Ha-1112's, He-111's etc flying together and then replicated the image several times, giving the impression of lots of planes. Easy to do with todays CGI, but for 1968 very impressive and imaginative indeed. And the remote controlled Stuka's are hilarious :evil4:

And thats what I was saying. Even when Last Crusade was made, Spileberg who is a amatuer WWII historian could have used special effects to do dogfight. I can handle that the plane that Indy flew was a Moth in Luftwaffe regalia but not the 108s. Even back then there were at least two G model 109s flying and a passell of 1112s.

Thats what makes Pearl Harbor so great in my opinion, its because they used real planes in many of the scenes including to real 109s, one which was a G model. (no 111s were harmed in the making of this movie, they were all CGI). Even in Patton they used the Hispano versions of the 111s. Hell, in Pink Floyd's The Wall they even had the last flying Stuka in it during the Dunkirk scene. Even in 633, if they found Mosquitos they could have found 109s or 1112s.

My point on all of this is that even in the sixties the planes were available, its just the directors and producers were too lazy to search a little more for the correct aircraft of the period.

At the time of the Last Crusade. There was only one flying Bf-109 and it was a Bf-109G and it crashed a few years ago. It was the only "real" Bf-109 that was still flying. There were several Israeli and Czech ones and they are all gone now also. As a matter of fact there are only 2 more Bf-109's being restored to flying condition right now.

At the time of the Last Crusade. There was only one flying Bf-109 and it was a Bf-109G and it crashed a few years ago. It was the only "real" Bf-109 that was still flying. There were several Israeli and Czech ones and they are all gone now also. As a matter of fact there are only 2 more Bf-109's being restored to flying condition right now.

There is a Bf-109G in Medford Oregone that it is both restored and flyable. It even has a DB engine in it.

wmaxt

there is a 109 e in niagara that doesn't fly enough to please me

Attachments

• picture_320_274.jpg
    picture_320_274.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 320
wmaxt said:

There is a Bf-109G in Medford Oregone that it is both restored and flyable. It even has a DB engine in it.

wmaxt

Yeah there are now several flying Bf-109s, I was just saying at the time of the filming of the Last Crusade there was just one.

In most cases the planes needed now are not available. But you can use CGI to reproduce them. But that has its own set of problums, so we are just stuck. Unless we all want to use RC aircraft or just build new full size frames.;)

just use RC aircraft, what's the difference between a full sized plane at 4,000ft and a 1/8 scale plane at 500ft ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back