What If...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3 said:
The German army was stopped in Russia at Moscow, and by winter conditions.

The Allies always intended to invade Normandy, the quesiton was when. Stalin wanted it sooner than later. Eisenhower wisely planned the invasion for when he had the men, material and air supremecy to sucede.
That is a bit of a myth. The Russians were just as much effected by the winter as the Germans. The only Russian troops 'winter' equiped were those from Siberia.

The Spring and Fall seasons had more effect on the battles on the EF.

Should add, that the wrecking of the Russian rail system and having to be re-built to German rr guage slowed the delivery of much needed supplies.

Normandy was not the prime invasion place. The whole coast was looked at and there was thoughts of going up the under belly of Europe, Italy.

Yes. The only way Hitler succeeding in Russia are:
1.) Replace spy Dr. Richard Sorge in Japan (who supported Stalin with concrete attack plans of Japan and Germany and had some political influence on the japanese prime minister) in time
2.) convince Japan to attack Russia instead of the US (as originally wanted and called for).
ergo:
no sibirian reinforcement in late 1941 for Moscow
military operations in 1941/early 1942 would be more difficult to cunduct for the red army, maybe that Moscow would fall, maybe that Stalin ask for armistice (as he indeed did) or he will be replaced by another one.
It remains still questionable if a joint attack on Russia would be powerful enough to defeat Russia (Japans ground forces are of questionable value and the distances are really beyond good and evil)

Questionable or not delcyros, the Japanese would have pulled men and resources from the EF which might have been the edge the Germans needed.

carpenoctem1689 said:
Japan, already at war with china, mad about the border class in manchuria, and not fearing an american invasion might well defeat china and the move on to russia, because china wouldnt be getting american supplies, and it would most likely fall, opening up resources to the japanese who could pound the soviets. making it unwinnable for them...even if the japanese lost on their front, it would make needed russian forces they couldnt spare on their eastern front

The Japanese were unlikely able to provide support to Germany with Russia under any circumstance. The US had issued an ultimatum to Japan telling them either to get out of China or face an embargo of oil. Without oil, Japan could not defeat China. The Japanese had only a few months of oil available when they attacked Pearl Harbor. To continue the fight with China, the US had to be neutralized. In addition, Japan was hesitant to engage Russia, whch agravated Hitler (he declared war on the US expecting Japan to do the same with Russia). You see, the Japanese had already engaged Russia, along the Manchuran border I believe, and had been spanked. It seems they had met a no-name Marshal called Zhukov!

yeah, but were assuming the US would not issue the Ultimatum, not wanting a war, and might not totally embargo oil. with no aid from the US china would likely fall, and her natural resources would become available to the japanese...when the russians moved production facities, the japanese had long range bombers and fighters that could disrupt this.

The japanese would not have had the oil and rubber resources without taking over american-controlled ocean territory. If not taking complete control, they would have left themselves vulnerable. Either way, the Greater Asia Co-prosperity Sphere included American territory.

Even if Japan had defeated China, they wouldn't have been able to support a remote air force strong enough to impact Russia's production capability in a strategic sense.

the lancaster kicks *** said:
the Graf Spee was completed and she was a pocket battleship i believe, the Graf Zepplin was the uncompleted carrier, but i don't think it'd make much difference, we'd have sent allot of power to meet her in the atlantic if she even made the break out.........

I don't recall the Germans having a GZ battleship, the only GZ that I can remember was the airship, maybe I was too young at the time
I do remember the airship.
The Graf Zeppelin predated the Hindenberg. which was lost due to a fire, I believe in 1936 or 37.they were airships . No airship would have fared well in WW2, they would have been very easy to destroy. They were used by the Germans in WW1, they had very limited success

As nonskimmer said it was an aircraft carrier that was launched but never completed. It was taken by the Russians and sank later. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• graf zeppelin.JPG
    graf zeppelin.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 94
  • graf zeppelin 2.JPG
    graf zeppelin 2.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 87
They were limited in what they could do but they still had uses as in the case of the US Navy. I really dont think anyone had the idea of using them as bombers in WW2 except for maybe the Japs who did try and bomb the west coast.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
They were limited in what they could do but they still had uses as in the case of the US Navy. I really dont think anyone had the idea of using them as bombers in WW2 except for maybe the Japs who did try and bomb the west coast.

The Japanese launched thousands of balloon bombs at North American. They thought it would be possible to set the forests of the Pacific Northwest on fire and cause a lot of damage. They did start a few forest fires and a small number of people were killed by fragmentation bombs while examining crashed balloons. There was a plan to include chemical and biological weapons as part of the payload, but as far as I know they never did. The furthest one of the ricepaper balloons got was over the Rockies into Alberta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back