What is a P-51M?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most folks will go catatonic with glazed over eyes as you ramble through yet another dissertation going nowhere.
So do not read it or comment on it and allow those who want to read themselves to sleep to do so.
You have a proclivity to use 10 words when one will do - and never summarize what you 'think' you are stating clearly.
Too many examples seen of the preferred conclusion determining what data is presented, so I put in the data and let people decide for themselves. As for extra words, part style, part inclusion of detail, after all the configuration of the 1 P-51M is a detail to the P-51 story, and irrelevant to the vast majority of people, but it is worth a lot of words and more around here. Depends on your outlook.
And yet again, you post a 1,000 word dissertation, in this case, with a vague intent on being an authoritative personage.
500 or so words, the exaggerations continue. Along with another person's effort at mind reading.
It's tiresome, pointless and quite honestly, no one cares. Surely I don't.
So why reply?
I have better things to do than bother with your exhaustive posts.
Like reply with evidence backing up the claims about me obviously. One set of claims dropped, time for the next.
load it with questionable addendum, which you have refused to source when asked.
So show the example of where I have refused to provide the source.
It boils down to the stark reality that you are most certainly NOT an authority, but rather a parrot of datum
Oh good, above the criticism is I fail to say what I think, now it is I do not have any thoughts on the subject. The incoherence in what I have supposed to have done is a problem. By the way the parrot was dead.
I have no idea why you strayed from BritModeler, perhaps they grew tired of your bullshit as well?
So I am being tracked and monitored, someone is worried. Perhaps you could ask the people at Britmodeller, how many messages on the site did you read?
Also if you are going to imply me of being run out of a web site, try not to have someone 10 minutes later post that I am active on the site, it ruins the grand narrative.
He was there yesterday and posted erroneous info as well
Great, a single example, so which message. what was wrong and who is going to write a message with the correct information?
This forum has an ignore feature - just saying ;)
Yes, but it seems to be running into the sunk costs concept, too many people have put in too much effort to simply let things go. Just look at the number of replies that have nothing to do with history and everything to do with me, also add the reactions.

500 or so words, the exaggerations continue. Along with another person's effort at mind reading.
Mr. Sinclair - you're on thin ice. There's many on this forum who have grown tired of your sometimes meaningless off-subject dissertations that have no bearing on the subject. While it seems you have a great knowledge of a lot of things, it gets very boring when "someone asks the time and you tell them not only how the watch is made, but how to mine the ore from the metals its made from!" So please, yield your comments to a minimum.

Never did post credentials yet. I'll post mine...dumb a$$ grader operator with a love for aircraft. And Bill....you saw an airplane once, correct?
Aww hell...we need credentials?

Let's see. I watched a show about airplanes once (a long time ago).

And I own three cats - two of which may or may not like me...

Well, to get this back on topic, how would the P-51M would've performed? It was a D airframe fitted with the H's V-1650-9 (minus ADI injection), so can anything maybe be drawn from that?

The P-51M would have performed not very well in actual effect.

They only made one, meaning it would have made a VERY tiny wing, a very small squadron and, indeed a small flight. Maybe a whole 8 seconds or so of gun use during an entire mission.

It would have contributed less than the 262 Macchi Mc.205's or the approximately 63 or so Ta 152's, and that ain't saying much.

Now, had it made quantity production, then we'd have something to discuss ...

Only reason why one got made was end of World War II. That's also why no P-51L got made (P-51H fitted with the Packard V-1650-11 engine), and part of why only 22 Merlin P-82s got made (2 XP-82s, 20 P-82Bs), as end of war also ultimately met no more Packard Merlins as Packard stopped making them in large part due to Rolls-Royce becoming more insistant on the $6000 licensing payment per engine post war.

After reading though this thread earlier, was was the "role" for the P-51M as far as NAA's/USAAF's plans? Was it a stop-gap until the Dallas plant could be tooled up to make P-51H/Ls or P-82s (all of which needed the tooling made for the lightweight P-51s), or was it to be the main P-51 version that Dallas would make, and all LW production would be mainly at Inglewood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back