What is it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lyte

Recruit
Mar 9, 2017
Hello y'all!

I hope someone can help me with identifying this plane. The family debate is whether or not this is our dad or granddad! So, we figured the type of plane would give us a clue. Many thanks in advance! :)

Lyte

Attachments

• Plane Type.jpg
    Plane Type.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 226
Any ideas on location where the pic was taken? There's an Auster AOP.3 serial NJ992 of 656 Sqn AAC/Malaya Comms Sqn that crashed on 2 Sep 46 near Seramban, Malaya. The silver dope finish and Type D roundels were certainly postwar vintage but I don't know if they would be present as early as September 1946.

Dunno if this helps at all...

Aww... sweet! Thanks y'all! It all helps! It's very interesting! Mid - late '40's means it was probably Dad. He passed when I was 18 so I know very little about his early years. I know he joined the British Army when he was about 15 (lied about his age) and he served on the Suez. I think he was born in the early 30's + 15 years... would put it around the mid 40's.

Maybe I can find another WWII forum that knows about uniforms and they could... based on what he's wearing... where this photo was taken. :)

Last edited:
It is a AOP 6.
Looking at the terrain, and the uniform, it could be from 657 Sqn, who had the AOP 6 when at Kuala Lumpur, 1950 to 1956, or from 659 Sqn, at Peshawar and then Lahore, from 1946 to disbandment in August 1947.
For the benefit of Lyte, these were Army Co-Operation Squadrons (which eventually came under Army control, as part of the Army Air Corps), with 'AOP' meaning Air Observation Post, and the '6' being Mk.6.

My guess is VW992, assuming it is a Mk 6 then this is the only possible aircraft with a serial ending 992.

ASN Aircraft accident 27-JAN-1955 Taylorcraft Auster AOP 6 VW992

Auster Heritage Group

The picture is definitely taken post war, and obviously before 27th January 1955 when the aircraft was scrapped following an accident.
Given 651 Squadron's history I would guess the picture was taken somewhere in the Middle east or Horn of Africa.

Cheers

Steve

I think you've nailed it Steve.
I thought at first that the location looked like Egypt or somewhere in that region, but I somehow missed 651 Sqn, as I misread the dates when they were at Middle Wallop, and the Middle East.(Ref: Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1918-1988, James J Halley, Air Britain)
The Squadron was at Ismailia from November 1951 to 1st November 1955, when it disbanded.
It reformed at Middle Wallop on the same day, when 657 Sqn were renumbered 651 Sqn, and was absorbed into the Army Air Corps on 1st September, 1957.

Never! :)

Nooooooooo......don't give up on us!

So much GREAT information! Thanks y'all so much!

I was speaking with my bro who reminded me that our Dad served in Egypt (Suez) with the R.E.M.E (Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers) and believes he was back in London by about 1955.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back