What is the best material for antenna wire?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAI PHAN

Airman
Oct 16, 2017
Hello all,

Beside stretched sprue that I find very hard to work with, what is the best material to make antenna wire? Someone mentioned elastic strings and what is the name brand? I am heading to an art and craft store to buy it at lunch time. Thanks Dai

You may try to find the EZ Line products. Pesonally I use threads ripped out of tights.

Last edited:
Invisible mending thread. It's nylon and very thin - thinner than fishing line. You need to take scale into account as even this stuff gets on the thick side for 1/72 in my opinion. Ask for it at sewing supply stores.

Here's 1/48:

17031214.jpg

I'm a BIG fan of EZ - LINE. It comes in 3-4 colors now and in two different thicknesses for essentially 1/48 and 1/32 scales. It's elastic thus will not sag or absorb moisture nor will it get "fuzzy". It fixes in place with CA or any other glue. You can find it easily on AMAZON or EBAY in 100ft (30.5m) spools that last forever. My spool is 6ys old

I would guess it depends on how accurate you want to be. It comes in two sizes, Heavy which is 0.006 and Fine which is 0.003 inches in diameter. They say that the Heavy is for 1/32 scale and larger and F is 1/48 and smaller. I'm not sure of the diameter of real antenna wire but I have both sizes and found that the 0.003 was VERY difficult to work with and very delicate. So personally I simply use the Heavy on my 1/48 scales. (Please don't tell the Model Police)

Invisible line for me. Is also the best stuff ive found down to 1/32 scale biplanes when doing the rigging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back