What Is The Difference Between The Two F-4U Corsairs?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tarzan1941

Recruit
Feb 1, 2012
Hi! I am new here and would like to say hello to everyone. I've been reading through some of these threads and I must say you guys know your stuff. Very impressive!

I have a question. I have been looking at pictures of the F-4 U Corsair and have noticed that some models have three propellers, while some of them have four. What is the difference between these two? What does the extra propeller add to the aircraft?

If you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You.

I'm sure you know that many of WW2 planes was developed during the war. The Corsair wasn't an exeption. The main purpose of a such changings was getting better aircraft than an enemy had. The first variant of F4U was powered by R-2800-8 engine with three-blade propeller. The version was known as F4U-1. Then there were introduced changings to the main aircraft frame( e.g the new cockpit conopy) and later the R-2800-8W engine was attached with three-blade propeller.The version was marked with F4U-1A type name. Other versions of the plane known as F4U-1C and F4U-1D had changings to their armament etc...
In October 1944 there appeared new variant of Corsair marked as the F4U-4. The differences from those earlier versions of the fighter machine were changes introduced to the cockpit area - the conopy and armour ( in general more than 3000 corrections to the entire plane) The kite was powered by R-2800-18W engine with four-blade propeller. And it is the secret.... most of F4Us look almost the same like. There are just details that make them different. These can be unnoticabel very often for most of people.

Last edited:
Good info my friend!
In addition there were of course the later developments, F4U-5, AU-1 (F4U-6) and F4U-7, all of which looked very similar externally save for cowling and canopy changes.
The only versions which looked substantially different were the F2G-1 racer, and (ugly) F4U-1D two seat trainer conversion.

Nothing more to add, but welcome to the forum.

Say hello to Cheetah and Jane for us! (You know someone was going to say it) :)

Outstanding!!! Thank you! And yes, I will let Jane, Boy and Cheetah you send your regards. :)

The main difference in the number of blades is the amount of "bite" that the propeller gets in the air. The 4-bladed corsair had a more powerful engine, and the additional blade took advantage of the additional horespower to give it better climb and more efficient use of the horsepower.

I guess everybody pretty much covered the reasons why. So I'll just say Hi tarzan1941, and welcome to the forum. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and I have been extremely impressed with the professional way this sight is being run. It makes me want to tip the bartender for his performance.

I guess everybody pretty much covered the reasons why. So I'll just say Hi tarzan1941, and welcome to the forum. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and I have been extremely impressed with the professional way this sight is being run. It makes me want to tip the bartender for his performance.

Agreed. I feel I overwhelmed reading these post with the vast, technical knowledge everyone has. It is pretty amazing. And hello to you too!

I wonder if this would be OK and ask a follow up question, although not related to the props of the Corsair, but rather does the Corsair have a storage area? If so, where is it located on the plane and how big is it? I can't imagine it being very large or anything, but perhaps big enough to store a mail bag or something to that effect. Am I right?

I wonder if this would be OK and ask a follow up question, although not related to the props of the Corsair, but rather does the Corsair have a storage area? If so, where is it located on the plane and how big is it? I can't imagine it being very large or anything, but perhaps big enough to store a mail bag or something to that effect. Am I right?

Sorry I have forgotten.... Welcome to the site and greetings from Poland. :wave:

Back to your question... according to the Corsair cutway there wasn't a such area. There was a section behind the cockpit for radio-set and other electronic systems. But no room for storage.

Interesting point... I don't know of a specific storage area either (unless pilots kept their kit under the seat?)

Welcome from Hungary too by the way!

Welcome from England. Like most WW2 fighters, the Corsair did not have, or need, a storage area as such, as there was nothing to store! However, when a pilot needed to take a small bag, for example, if moving rapidly to a different base, taking only essential personal kit, this would often be stuffed into, and lashed down in, the radio compartment, if there was room.

PZL P-11C had a such boot in the fairing just behind the cockpit. The accessing hatch was at port side of the fuselage. As memo serves Bf109 had a such une just behind the pilot seat. Its lid was at the sloped part of the fuselage under the rear cockpit conopy.

Yes, the Bf109 had a very small compartment at the rear of the cockpit. This was above the fuel tank, and gave access to the top of the tank, and was also used for the storage of the inertial starter crank handle. The main area for storage was at the rear, behind the radio access hatch on the port side. A First Aid kit was fastened to the inside of the hatch cover and, for operations over the desert, a Kar 98K rifle was clipped to the fuselage frames, and emergency rations and water were fastened to the bottom of the fuselage, to be used in the case of a forced landing.

I have seen articles where Me109 pilots put people in the back of the aircraft, 2 maybe even 3. When the situation was chaotic at the last on the eastern front. When anybody left behind was facing likely death when the Russians arrived.
For very short flights only, i'm sure, because the extra passengers were in very award positions, and the aircraft had to handle like crap with their weight to the rear.

Pilots of Yak 7B and Yak 9 had a such compartment for their mechanics behind the cockpit. It could be used for personel transportation when moved to the next airfield for instance.

Attachments

• JAK7-1.jpg
    JAK7-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 141
As far as I know the engine type was used for modified Corsairs as a racer after the war.

Image source the Internet....

311988_281263958576404_167963059906495_780659_530318275_n.jpg

387052_281263598576440_167963059906495_780658_369990351_n.jpg

391858_284338284935638_167963059906495_788348_916729263_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back