what is this plane and about when???? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My memory is very rusty (and that's on a good day) but I remember seeing on discovery once a short film about an Italian pioneer aviator who started dreaming up aircraft designs after watching seagulls, and some of his designs were along these lines. All float planes and with triple sets of wings. I don't think he became famous as such, but he was a local legend, and apparently some of his designs weren't too bad (though this wouldn't appear to be one of them, in my opinion...)

Not a Caproni (you are probably thinking of the Ca.60 triple triplane).
This one is French and it was the Jeanson-Colliex giant (though Voisin was associated with it). I used to have a drawing of this monstrosity but I've lost it. It actually managed to stagger into the air briefly.

Mike Fletcher

A good site for aircraft ID is this one
1000 aircraft photos

also this one is good
Virtual Aircraft Museum

Johnny

Old thread yes but no one seemed to pay attention to Post #23 and 26

Maurice Colliex

387-1.jpg

If you ask mrs google she will she will search the web for an image and similar images. from that i found the following
For your information:
Maurice Colliex was at school with his exact contemporary Gabriel Voisin, whom he rejoined after graduating in 1903. He remained a close collaborator of the Voisin brothers during the company's pioneering years, first as draughtsman, then as chief engineer and later, test pilot. It was Colliex who set up the Voisin flying school at Mourmelon and was responsible for overseeing production and supply of the first all-metal Voisins to the military. Whilst still with Voisin, he teamed up with Maurice Jeanson in 1912 to build a huge double biplane flying boat under his own name. With two 200HP Chenu engines driving a five-metre propeller and weighing in at nearly five tons with 10 people aboard, the Jeanson-Colliex was the largest of its type in the world. It was during his time as a military aviation instructor that Colliex achieved his best-known feat, when a Blériot flown by a novice became entangled in mid-air with the upper plane of his Voisin, which Colliex proceeded to land safely in the normal manner despite his unorthodox additional 'passenger'.
Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back