What is your favorite Bf-109?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just Schmidt

Senior Airman
Jul 19, 2010
Tromsø
It recently struck me that this long lived and legendary plane served long enough and appeared in enough iterations, that it might have qualified as several distinct types (somewhat like the Yak family became).

Favorite in this context can mean both the aestethically most pleasing and the 'best' fighting machine, relatively or technically. Just make clear what criteria you choose, and at least I will not deem anything a wrong answer. Include the Spanish and Czech variants if you like. here i will only consider the four I know anything but the merest basics about, E, F, G and K. You can also just criticize my generalizations below, I'm sure there's room for improvement. And please supply any detail you feel pertinent, also about the more obscure variants, as for an example the T which i do believe saw service in Norway.

E: A classic aircraft in every sense, participating in all the early epics. Arguably second to none at its time, though not overshadowing all opponent in every respects. It's looks are somewhat crude, nearly a kind of Frankenstein's monster with odds and ends glued on here and there. One of the early exponents of cannon, motor or not, it poses a lethal danger to contemporary fighters and bombers both. saw quite a number of variations through its comparatively long service.

F: A radical redesign and clean up, looks like an entirely new type. Briefly a candidate for worlds best fighter, but soon replaced, and never anything to brag about armaments wise. The large spinner and clean up makes it look like a shark.

G: The hammer shark, to stay in the metaphor. A very varied range of aircraft spanning pretty much the last half of the war. Saw mostly defensive work, and the successive additions often shows. Beulen and stuff does make it look more meaner, and Galland-hood does introduce a new kind of sleek. But as with most heavily upgraded planes, handling (or at least manouverability) suffered, still it would probably have fared better had it enjoyed the same milieu as the Emil.

K: The pinnacle of development, at least of what saw anything but the briefest service. It literally looks like it's stretching itself to do the impossible job facing die Luftwaffe in the final months of the war. It may be considered an evolved Gustaf, in raw performance it seem more or less the equal of the best operative piston fighters. Even more challenged than the G by detoriating production quality, lack of oil and collapsing logistics, it faced overwhelming numbers in impossible strategic context.

I pick the Friedrich. Admittedly it had no business tangling with boxes of heavy bombers, but I'll pretend that Germany could afford to use it as top cover for Fw 190's and heavy fighters of different provenance. That is probably not the case, but it may not have worked out worse than the historical situation, and at least it actually enjoyed its share of successes in the relatively brief period it saw extensive combat. Where i won't budge is on the looks. It's just so slim and graceful, and while I really think the add-ons of the other models add charm and make them look more muscular, something that elegant, in my eyes, just takes intimidation to the next level.

Last edited:
I don't know enough of each model to have a favourite so all I can say is that I have heard the Spitfire described as a wolf in sheep's clothing.
That being the case any model 109 must be a wolf in wolf's clothing. Just the look says what it was built for and it definitely looks 'right'.

It recently struck me that this long lived and legendary plane served long enough and appeared in enough iterations, that it might have qualified as several distinct types (somewhat like the Yak family became).

Favorite in this context can mean both the aestethically most pleasing and the 'best' fighting machine, relatively or technically. Just make clear what criteria you choose, and at least I will not deem anything a wrong answer. Include the Spanish and Czech variants if you like. here i will only consider the four I know anything but the merest basics about, E, F, G and K. You can also just criticize my generalizations below, I'm sure there's room for improvement. And please supply any detail you feel pertinent, also about the more obscure variants, as for an example the N which i do believe saw service in Norway.

E: A classic aircraft in every sense, participating in all the early epics. Arguably second to none at its time, though not overshadowing all opponent in every respects. It's looks are somewhat crude, nearly a kind of Frankenstein's monster with odds and ends glued on here and there. One of the early exponents of cannon, motor or not, it poses a lethal danger to contemporary fighters and bombers both. saw quite a number of variations through its comparatively long service.

F: A radical redesign and clean up, looks like an entirely new type. Briefly a candidate for worlds best fighter, but soon replaced, and never anything to brag about armaments wise. The large spinner and clean up makes it look like a shark.

G: The hammer shark, to stay in the metaphor. A very varied range of aircraft spanning pretty much the last half of the war. Saw mostly defensive work, and the successive additions often shows. Beulen and stuff does make it look more meaner, and Galland-hood does introduce a new kind of sleek. But as with most heavily upgraded planes, handling (or at least manouverability) suffered, still it would probably have fared better had it enjoyed the same milieu as the Emil.

K: The pinnacle of development, at least of what saw anything but the briefest service. It literally looks like it's stretching itself to do the impossible job facing die Luftwaffe in the final months of the war. It may be considered an evolved Gustaf, in raw performance it seem more or less the equal of the best operative piston fighters. Even more challenged than the G by detoriating production quality, lack of oil and collapsing logistics, it faced overwhelming numbers in impossible strategic context.

I pick the Friedrich. Admittedly it had no business tangling with boxes of heavy bombers, but I'll pretend that Germany could afford to use it as top cover for Fw 190's and heavy fighters of different provenance. That is probably not the case, but it may not have worked out worse than the historical situation, and at least it actually enjoyed its share of successes in the relatively brief period it saw extensive combat. Where i won't budge is on the looks. It's just so slim and graceful, and while I really think the add-ons of the other models add charm and make them look more muscular, something that elegant, in my eyes, just takes intimidation to the next level.
The E model for that specific time period...for its two 20mm in the wings.

From a fictional POV, this one that I did years ago:

"Following the success of Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein, and the sudden death of Stalin which halted the Soviet advance in the East, the German forces found themselves defending their own borders. Whilst the new jets/rockets were promising, the tried and tested Bf-109 and Fw-190 versions still formed the bulk of the Luftwaffe's fighting force. In the case of the Fw-190 it was the Ta-152 series that now ruled. Alongside it was the new Bf-109M ("Martha") series – the Bf-109M-2 being the first variant to enter wide-spread service.

The Marthas were perhaps the greatest change since the Bf-109F/G series were introduced. Based upon the Bf-109K, the M-2 was fitted with a DB-605L engine with a two-stage supercharger and MW-50 water-methanol injection giving just over 2000HP. This drove a new 6 bladed contra-rotating prop which not only gave greater thrust (speeds in excess of 725 km/hr (450 mph) were regularly attained), but also helped reduce the take-off/landing difficulties long associated with the Bf-109 series (a major aid given some of the inexperienced pilots now being pressed into service). Standard armament consisted of a single MK-108 30 mm Motorkanone firing through the propeller hub and twin MG-151/15 15 mm cowling guns. The greatest visible difference however was the new cut down rear decking/all round bubble canopy. Copying the ideas already seen in the similar late war Spitfire series, this was introduced at the request of pilots who argued that even the so-called "Galland Hood" of the late G/K series wasn't sufficient. This new canopy was similar in basic design to that developed for the new Me-262 but was obviously smaller to match the contours of the smaller Bf-109. It also featured cockpit pressurization.

By the time the war ended in February 1946, over 1200 of the new Martha series had been produced."

09.jpg

Bf109L2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back