What kind of car do you drive?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

exactily what i was saying before, everything in America is so cheap anything that has to be imported looks like big $..........

Does look cool. Is this a congressional approved procurement? Or just a response to a Marine "request for proposal"?

Looks like a recycled WW2 Jeep to me.

List price of a
Cherokee Jeep starts without extras at £19,935 which I think is around $36,000
Grand Cherokee Jeep starts at £28,500 which is around $52,000.
Land Rover Defenders start at £20,000 in the UK around $37,000

Cars are pricy over here

Plus, someone seems to be forgetting that he'll be struggling to ever afford the luxurious cars in life. If you want speed at your price range, you'll be looking at the typical 1.8 Golf GTi or something along those lines.

Why bad mouth diesels when the 2.0 Golf TDi - 130 bhp . It's rapid and economical, when you're not racing it.

it's even cheaper if you use the red stuff.... but only within 10 miles of your land in an agricultural vehicle of course Officer :toothy5:

I'm all for diesel, even for sporty cars: I was converted back in 1994.
A 2.0 VW TDi now is 170+ bhp, with double the torque of a 2.0 gasoline. And we have 2.0 BMW at 163, 1.9 Fiat (= all GM and Alfa models) at 150-160 and 2.0 Renault at 174.

You may have less RPM and peak power but the pick up is simply not comparable, unless you go to Porsche and Ferrari.

And Cheddar, the last Alfa V6 went out of production 3 years ago, the current V6 in the Alfa is a revised Holden engine, heritage of the failed marriage with GM

So said, if I could afford to spend 45k Euro in a toy car I would gt myself an Elise...

I know, but there will never be a sound as glorious as that of an Alfa V6.
Diesel may have the higher torque, but the extra weight ruins the handling. And its all very well accelerating from 40-70 in 5th gear a bit quicker, but when it sounds liek youre constantly driving over a cattlegrid in the process it kinda ruins the experience ;) Petrol all the way, I'll never buy a diesel.

When you actually own an Alfa V6, come back and tell us.

go have a look around at where Land Rovers are used, and what they're used for, they've been in production almost unchanged for coming up to 60 years, and for a damn good reason, bring on your steel foundry, the Land Rover will beat it and it currently beating it on every continent on earth, and RE the price, American vehicles over here are more expensive than Land Rovers, does your info take into account import costs? Over here you don't have to look far for a roadworthy defender for a few hundred pounds........

Sorry Lanc but the Jeep is more powerful and will out perform a Defender and Range Rover. It has been proven and done. Sorry but facts are facts. Not everything that comes out of your beloved England is the best thing since bread and butter. Please learn that.

thelancasterkicksass said:
i've seen 1 ton hay bales on the back of Land Rovers and they handled it no problem, i'm not saying the American pickups can't, i'm just saying Land Rovers can so don't think they can't...........

And the Jeep can haul and 8 ton boat behind it, so whats your point...

thelancasterkicksass said:
For a range rover perhaps but we're talking Defenders, over 15,000 are used by the Army even the SAS use them........

And because the Brits use it, that makes it great right....

Firstly, The Defender is possibly the best off road vehicle of all time...It will go anywhere, any surface, any weather...The Jeep may well be the best of the SUV's but the humble defender will trounce all on the rough stuff...

A Defender could haul an 8 ton boat behind it as well, but I dont think theres even enough room inside the Jeep to fit the 1 ton bale.

Dont get me wrong, the Jeep Cherokee is a superb vehicle and is certainly up there with the Range Rover as the greatest SUV ever built, i'm not belittleing it in any way; but as a working tool and for pure off-road ability, a Defender wins, every time. Power isnt everything...

And you cant play the 'bias of patriotism' card on me, cos im the first person to slag off the British ;)

So - one set of facts proves defender superior, and another the Jeep superior in off-road capability... What about HMMWV, how does she stack up? I would htink she poops on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back