What of the Me 410?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the rotating carriage at it's point of connection in the front literally dissolved/snapped and jammed up the rotating mechanism causing the unit to be unable to fire and destroying the nose, tearing it off/cracking the supports. Would of been suicidal in combat with an operative crew at this tender stage......

see you guys in a couple days

E ~

Aha...copy that.

Some pics of the Me-410B-2/U-2 wich installed 4 x 20 Mg-151 in the bomb bay in support of the 2 fixed Mauser in the nose.

me410b2u23om.jpg

Loading the rockets.

cargandocoehtes1st.jpg

Closer look to the cannons.

closerlook5ss.jpg

Me-410 B-2 R-2, note the twin 30 mm MK-103 and the telescopic gunsight used to engaged the bombers at relative long distances, in adition it carry the normal 2 x Mg-151 and 2 x 7,92 mm machineguns.....now that is firepower.. :shock:

me41018yu.jpg

Some profiles ( I hope dont get battered by Erich 8) )

256eb.jpg

CB there is debate with the idea that these later war 410's engaged Soviet ground targets, there was no reason to fly with Mk 103's as bomber killers as they were not exceptionally good, but in the anti-tank role, the Hs 129 proved itself repeatedly with the 3cm Mk 103

The Me-410 was good at taking down bombers, and destroying ground forces. Though because the aircraft had liquid-cooled engines, they would be more vulnerable to ground fire, because liquid cooled engines were more vulnerable than air-cooled radials to damage. The Me-410, using the mk-103 30mm cannon, could fire from a long distance using telescopic gunsights, and protect itself, and its considerable size and vulnerable engines, from defensive fire of the bombers. While in the ground attack role, it would innevitablly be exposed to ground fire, both small arms and weapons from 20mm, to up to heavy flak. I would have used the Me-410 as a home defence interceptor, rather than ground attack aircraft, using the ground attack Fw-190's, more suited to the role, to the "schlact" (slaughter, if i remember right) missions. just my thoughts.

I agree. Would be a great bomber destroyer and I would have used it as a night fighter. Where any used like that?

the unit with a Reich defence band of red was used on the ost front, the Mk 103 proven as an anti-tank and MT destroyer agasint the Sopviets earlier in the Hs 129 form. the sight had already proven itslef with ZG 26 when used againat the 4 engine heavies and also as in the same role as the pic indicates, the Bk 5 was used agasint Soviet armor thrusts. this wa all short term as ZG 76 was basically dissolved of the 410's and proved cadre for existing JG's and also had formed JG 76 of it's own flying Fw 190's

sure we can state the Me 410 was a better bomber interceptor but reality was shown otherwise, the units to shore up bleeding anti-tank staffeln

book :

no night fighters but intruders. There is a difference.............some success by pilots of II./KG 51 flying Ferneeinsatz over England

They were most likely proven as better anti-tank platforms, because as interceptors they werent given the proper fighter cover to allow them to accell at what have been a very successful interception career i would wager.

the days of the Zerstörer were over in July of 44 only defended by Bf 109G's of JG 27.

ZG 76 was moved from Ansbach in April of 44 to Prag-Gbell and Rusin till July 10, 44 and then to the defence of Vienna against the 15th AF but were slaughtered. From the 30th of July the unit was moved to Powunden and then Seerappen and finally Grossenhain in November 44 finally outfitting to Fw 190A-8's

so the unit actually performed anit-tank duties then air defence and then back to anti-tank duties with the 410.

The pics on the earlier pages surprised me, it's alot bigger than it looks from a side view.

The Nazis had very creative weapon ideas. Some of them are pretty scary, but some of them are really ridiculous. You name it, it seems like they've tried it. The scariest on the Hornisse would have to be the 50mm cannon...good lord, was that used on anything else? Besides a freakin battleship?

The scariest on the Hornisse would have to be the 50mm cannon...good lord, was that used on anything else? Besides a freakin battleship

Actually was the antitank gun Pak 38 with electric primer and auto loading, it was feeded with a 22 round endless belt. The ciclic rate was 50 rpm.

arm5.jpg

Me410-A1-11s.jpg

Damn that was a vicious weapon to put on an aircraft. But then again, the germans were known for there innovation, and when the time comes for innovative ideas, no need to hold back. You can really tell they werent even trying, employing jets first, the vengeance weapons (V1/V2) super railway cannons, truly astounding aircraft designs, and tanks (tiger,panther,king tiger) all amazing, though not without there flaws of course.

Erich said:
ZG 76 was moved from Ansbach

I am stationed at that airfield. That is where I fly Blackhawks out of everyday. A lot of the old buildings still exist. You can still see the original grass strip and the underground bunkers, and tunnels as well as some underground hangers still exist. I will have to take some photos and start a thread about it.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Erich said:
ZG 76 was moved from Ansbach

I am stationed at that airfield. That is where I fly Blackhawks out of everyday. A lot of the old buildings still exist. You can still see the original grass strip and the underground bunkers, and tunnels as well as some underground hangers still exist. I will have to take some photos and start a thread about it.
That would be cool to see Alder :cool:

Okay out of my better judgement I am not going to post pics of my post now out of OPSEC reasons. Layouts of military instalations are not the thing to be posting. I will see if I can find some old WW2 pics of the post though and start a thread on that.

Udet said:
I recall a veteran of the USAAF telling me of a "famous" ace of the USAAF who got killed in combat with a Me 410. Sadly i do not recall the name.

The only info regarding this incident that I have found is about the P-38 ace James M. Morris who was shot down by the dfensive rear Mg-131 when he was attacking a Me-410 over Germany the 7th July 1944.

Morris wasnt killed only slightly wounded and it bailed out and became POW. Morris was credited with 7,33 victories.

This incident is mentioned in the Ospreys books "P-38 aces of the ETO/MTO" and the Squadron signal "Me-210/410 in action"

http://usaaf.com/8thaf/aces/morris.HTM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back