What plane do you wish had sawservice

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

not true, i have a slave merlin in my fusilage to power all heating and electrical systems..........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
despite the fact it was designed to a british specification, had a british name, a british engine and i believe some british people high up in the design team..........

The "British Specification" was for a plane similar to the P-40 - another US plane. Other than the requirment that it be of equivalent performance and use an inline engine, there was not much else in that "British Specification".

Originally the P-51 used an Allison engine with a one stage supercharger, then it used a US built Packard Merlin with a two stage supercharger, which was a licensed version of the Rolls Royce Merlin with some minor modifcations. However, the decision to use the Merlin instead of either a 2 stage Allison, or the Continental Hyper-engine, was driven as much by the desire to produce Packard Merlins and sub-parts for RR Merlins for British/Canadian (in Spitfires and Lancasters) use as anything else. NAA had wanted to put a two stage supercharger or a turbo-supercharger in the plane from the get-go, but the "British Specification" did not allow for that, it would have made the plane more expensive than the P-40. The decision was based more on tooling concerns than anything else.

As far as British members of the design team - as far as I know there were none. The designers at NAA were, for the most part, either German/Austrian by birth, or Americans. Most of them were either former Cal-Tech graduates, or Cal-Tech grad students.

=S=

Lunatic

C.C. the P-38K would have been a great sight to see and the armorment for it was great :)

Yes, the F7F was in theature, but it did fly for the Marines. But they were not active off a carrier that would have been even better. ;)

lightning38 said:
That's Ho-IX. Sorry.

Here is some info on the Gotha Ho-229. The only remaining one of the 2 built is at the Paul Garber Facility of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum awaiting restoration. It will be a beaut when it is finished. The Last 2 pictures below are of the Ho-229 at the Paul Garber Facility.

Origin: Gothaer Waggonfabrik AG. to Horten design (see note below)
Type: Single seat fighter/bomber

Engines:
Two Junkers Jumo 004B turbojets
Thrust: 1,980lb (900kg)

Dimensions:
Span 16.75m
Length 7.47m
Height 2.80m

Weights:
Empty: 10,140lbs (4600kg)
Max. loaded: 19,840lb (9000kg)

Speed:
607mph (977km/h)
Ceiling:
52,500ft (16,000m)

Range:
1,970 miles (3170km) at 393mph (635km/h) with two drop tanks

Armaments: Planned
Four Mk 103 or Mk 108 cannon
Plus
Two 1,000kg bombs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments:
First flown in January 1945, the Ho 229 was the innovative design of Walter and Reimar Horten, both former Luftwaffe officers. The test programme showed the 229 to have outstanding speed and handling characteristics but developement was halted when US troops overran the research facility. Some dispute has arisen over whether the 229 should be classified as the Go 229 or Ho 229. Since Gothar was supposed to build 229 and didn't really design it, I'm arbitrarily going with the Ho 229 designation in honor of the designers.
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/ho229.html

Attachments

• 229-5_214.jpg
    229-5_214.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 614
  • 229-4_775.jpg
    229-4_775.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 630
  • 229-3_895.jpg
    229-3_895.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 619
  • 229-2_162.jpg
    229-2_162.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 615
  • 229-1_148.jpg
    229-1_148.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 632
I don't think the Garber facility restores them to flyable condition. I think they restore to static display condition due mainly to costs. Plus, with the amount of airplanes the Smithsonian owns, could you imagine the insurance?!

Definitely, they do a nice job with the static displays that they have done so far.

Willow, are you sure the F7F flew during the war? I have seen sources that say it did, but I have also seen sources that said it did not. I haven't been able to verify it either way.

The F7F definitley flew in WWII. It was actually flying in 1944.

However, it never saw "combat". Some operational sorties were flown, probably of a recon nature. Some ASW patrols were also flown, but I've not been able to find evidence of a confirmed attack on a Japanese sub.

There was at least one MAG operating Tigercats before the end of WWII. It had departed Guam for forward bases in indo-china about two weeks before the A-bomb was dropped. I think there was one more, but I am not sure where it was based. Some evidence indicates it may have been based in China, but I'm not confident that is not just reflecting the re-deployment of the Guam MAG. Other evidence indicates it may still have been state side.

There were also a few night-fighter F7F's deployed before the end of the war, but I have no info on whether or not they might have seen combat.

=S=

Lunatic

not to mantion all the permission and cirtificates and tests that thing'd have to pass..........

Evenglider, RG had what I have found. That they were operating outside of the US but only a few Recone missions. They were on the way to combat zones though.

Question for you all know of any F7Fs that I could get a ride in? ;)

C.C, what a nice little Warthog you have ;)

But it's grandfather the P-47 was a bit better. I would have liked to see the Italian fighters that were on the drawing board. C.C, what do you think of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back