What's the difference.....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
topic or I'll close the thread .
Okay, back on topic, so here goes. So it's the the whistling jackets on the .50s; nice tidbit to know, but ARE THEY or AREN'T THEY part of the airframe? (How many angels can dance on the head of a pin??)
Ask an engineer, he'll say NO; ask a crew chief or squadron maintenance officer, and the answer is YES.
From a manufacturing, engineering, and procurement perspective, NO, they are a GSE accessory, not part of the load bearing, airflow shaping structure.
From an operational, maintenance, and daily commonsense perspective, YES, they are permanently installed in the wings, and are, like a landing gear actuator, part of the "Airframe" side of the Airframe & Powerplant dichotomy.
Now IMHO, anyone whose definitions are so rigid they can't tolerate an opinion like that risks classifying themselves with the medieval theologians who came to blows over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. (Factual corrections accepted, of course.)
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Having been around a bit over the last 50 years of my career with Mustangs and many other Warbirds, by the 1970's most Mustangs had the guns removed and cover plates installed over the openings in the wings. That left a smooth leading edge on the front of the wing. That also left the sound we are talking about. Then when the move to make Mustangs more original became the thing to do the original metal leading edge became popular again. Very short stubs that looked like gun barrels were installed. Same sound as before. Then things got real serious and replica guns were made with all the 50cal belts and everything else that was on a combat aircraft. Again the sound was still there.
And it still is there depending on how the aircraft is being operated.
Last, you don't hear it when inside the aircraft.
Mike

That left a smooth leading edge on the front of the wing. That also left the sound we are talking about.
Very short stubs that looked like gun barrels were installed. Same sound as before.
Then things got real serious and replica guns were made with all the 50cal belts and everything else that was on a combat aircraft. Again the sound was still there
And it still is there depending on how the aircraft is being operated.
Put that in your pipe and Smoke it, Stover!
CHEERS!
Wes

Put that in your pipe and Smoke it, Stover!
CHEERS!
Wes

I dont smoke thanks. And besides, it's not like anyone has come up with any concrete evidence. Just general assumptions and opinions as usual. Which i concede may very well be correct. But i wonder how many members here have actually been up in a P-51. And therefore have direct experience with this topic. Respectfully....
M

I dont smoke thanks. And besides, it's not like anyone has come up with any concrete evidence. Just general assumptions and opinions as usual. Which i concede may very well be correct. But i wonder how many members here have actually been up in a P-51. And therefore have direct experience with this topic. Respectfully....
M

We have a few of them actually...

Maybe you should smoke instead of wasting time on this site.
I started worked on P-51's starting in the summer of 1968 at Volpar, in Calif. Yellow with blue strip on side from Id. Lysander in '73, Merlins and Allisons after that. The engine shop I started now has 32 employees, and rebuilds everything from Merlins, allisons, Griffons, Carburetors, Wrights, Pratts and many German engines. There are over twenty engines in the shops at this time.
I have flown in and flown more Warbirds than I care to list. I have over 1,000 hours operating Merlins alone.
It is one thing to have an opinion. It is another thing to gum it to death.
Mike Nixon

Hmmm, de vertaalsites op het internet draaien overuren hier... :)
Speciaal met het slechte duits :D
My two years of German was over fifty years ago. I'm dredging out the dark corners of my memory. I did have to go to a site to figure out your Dutch.
Cheers,
Wes

Maybe you should smoke instead of wasting time on this site.
I started worked on P-51's starting in the summer of 1968 at Volpar, in Calif. Yellow with blue strip on side from Id. Lysander in '73, Merlins and Allisons after that. The engine shop I started now has 32 employees, and rebuilds everything from Merlins, allisons, Griffons, Carburetors, Wrights, Pratts and many German engines. There are over twenty engines in the shops at this time.
I have flown in and flown more Warbirds than I care to list. I have over 1,000 hours operating Merlins alone.
It is one thing to have an opinion. It is another thing to gum it to death.
Mike Nixon
Says the guy who has to list all his achievements. What do you want another medal? I asked a simple question and behold the insults begin. You dont even know me yet the first thing you do is insult me. Well done, thats some intelligence you have there! You're not the only warbird flyer here. And i didnt take my last flight nearly 50 years ago. My grandfather worked at Castle brom plant. I lived across the road from the Castle Brom Spitfire plant. My grandfather taught me me everything there is to know about Spitfires and Rolls Royce engines. I dont presume to know the depth and experience of your knowledge. So please dont presume to know mine. Why does everything on this site have to turn personal. Is it an ego thing....
Maybe you should retire, but i suggest somewhere out of the sun. I think you've maybe had quite enough heat go to your head already. But hey, it's not so bad. After all you've made me look like the bad guy of the site. You must feel so proud. How do you find the time, considering you have half a dozen businesses.....Hmmmm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back