What's the purpose of the P-47's protruding barrel sleeves?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Funny, I understand alot of the British slang still. I did live there for three years, but I left there almost 20 years ago. I guess some things never leave your memeory. Now if I could only remember where I left my keys... ;)

Aha! How'd he manage to get across the pond, break into my house and steal my keys in such a brief timeframe. :-k He must have been plotting this for some time... It's a key conspiracy, I tell ya! #-o

that was actually lanc
What, he suddenly is one of the morphing type of XMen or something??? Too bad i had to take Lanc and chuck him over the fence... If I had known earlier, i would scooped him up and invited him in for tea and crumpets, or in this case, coffee and a bagel.........

BTW, do u guys have Thomas's English Muffins over there in England??? The nooks and crannys are like the greatest thing known to the baking world next to Cornish Pastries.......

Nope, Les. "English" muffins are an American thing, sort of. According to foodreference.com:

The story is that an English baker, a certain Samuel B. Thomas, started making these flat chewy things in America over 100 years ago, from his mother's tea cake recipe. The English deny that they ever heard or saw anything like it until they were imported from America. Today you can find Thomas' English Muffins in most English supermarkets. Imported from America.

The curious thing is that 'muffins' in the U.S. are not anything like these so-called 'English Muffins'. (Maybe this was an inexperienced English immigrant baker's attempt to make crumpets* from a half remembered recipe of his mother's.) Muffins in America are 'quick breads' that is, made with no yeast, but leavened with egg and baking powder.

'English Muffins' are about 3 inches round and 1 inch high, yeast raised (basically a bread dough) and baked on a griddle. To get the proper texture when split in two they should not be cut with a knife, but should be split with a fork. The resulting rough texture gives them a certain crunchiness when toasted (and helps them hold gobs of butter and preserves).

For the Brits here, they look like this:
http://www1.wolfermans.com/eoneCommerce/Shop?Dsp=30000&PCR=1:1000&R=667

Ive never had a muffin in me life.
OK Evan I got all that info and as you are a mine of culinary knowledge (mixing food with slang) how did it end up that we call a female a piece of crumpet or a tart and what about the flaming onion ack ack rockets.
That's it, I managed to get food and fire power in one sentence were almost back on thread. :)

les said:
Cornish Pastries

*shock*

that's really quite offensive, it's a cornish pasty, cornish pastries are in fact very rare, almost unheard of these days.............

and where i put you key, you'll be lucky if it comes out in the nest few weeks, i'll be lucky if it comes out at all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back