Whats the speed of dark ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In January 2002, the true colour of the Universe was declared as somewhere between pale turquoise and aquamarine, by Ivan Baldry and Karl Glazebrook at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore Maryland.
They determined the cosmic colour by combining light from over 200,000 galaxies within two billion light years of Earth. The data came from the Australian 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey at the Anglo-Australian Observatory in New South Wales, Australia.

But!
In March 2002,
Glazebrook now says the true colour this data gives is closer to beige. "I'm very embarrassed," he says, "I don't like being wrong."

The mistake was caused by a bug in the software Glazebrook had used to convert the cosmic spectrum into the colour the human eye would see if it was exposed to it. "There's no error in the science, the error was in the perception," says Glazebrook.

Glazebrook has now teamed up with Mark Fairchild of the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the University of Rochester in New York, who pointed out his mistake last month.
Fairchild realized the software Glazebrook was using actually took a slightly pinky looking colour as white. "There was a huge green shift due to the erroneous white point," he says.

When this was corrected, the colour was actually on the pinky side of white, a slight beige colour. Fairchild now hopes to test the software model by generating an exact replication of the cosmic spectrum light and shining it into someone's eye, so they can experience the true colour of the Universe. But Glazebrook is confident this time. "It won't change again," he says.

The John Hopkins group were using the cosmic spectrum – not the subjective colour it corresponds to – to trace the history of star formation in the Universe. Their scientific results are not affected by their mistak

Read more: The Universe is not turquoise – it's beige

I hope they didn't pay too much/anything for that research!

In January 2002, the true colour of the Universe was declared as somewhere between pale turquoise and aquamarine, by Ivan Baldry and Karl Glazebrook at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore Maryland.
They determined the cosmic colour by combining light from over 200,000 galaxies within two billion light years of Earth. The data came from the Australian 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey at the Anglo-Australian Observatory in New South Wales, Australia.

But!
In March 2002,
Glazebrook now says the true colour this data gives is closer to beige. "I'm very embarrassed," he says, "I don't like being wrong."

The mistake was caused by a bug in the software Glazebrook had used to convert the cosmic spectrum into the colour the human eye would see if it was exposed to it. "There's no error in the science, the error was in the perception," says Glazebrook.

Glazebrook has now teamed up with Mark Fairchild of the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the University of Rochester in New York, who pointed out his mistake last month.
Fairchild realized the software Glazebrook was using actually took a slightly pinky looking colour as white. "There was a huge green shift due to the erroneous white point," he says.

When this was corrected, the colour was actually on the pinky side of white, a slight beige colour. Fairchild now hopes to test the software model by generating an exact replication of the cosmic spectrum light and shining it into someone's eye, so they can experience the true colour of the Universe. But Glazebrook is confident this time. "It won't change again," he says.

The John Hopkins group were using the cosmic spectrum – not the subjective colour it corresponds to – to trace the history of star formation in the Universe. Their scientific results are not affected by their mistak

As long as it's not plaid...

It's very probable that the speed of dark is directly related to altitude.
We know the higher one travels, the thinner the air, and it gets darker, therefore, the speed of dark must be much faster at very high altitudes. If we can establish the speed of dark at sea level, we could maybe then establish the speed of dark at various altitudes ...................... but I doubt it ....................

If you go down to the Edinburgh High Street you can go into one of the many tartan shops and get your very own McUniverse tartan to prove your Scottish ancestry...

Very industrious the Scots, they invented everything, don't you know...
As it stands, I am qualified for tartans of Clan MacBean and Clan Stewert.

While that's great and all, I have resisted the temptation to own any :lol:

If you go down to the Edinburgh High Street you can go into one of the many tartan shops and get your very own McUniverse tartan to prove your Scottish ancestry...

Very industrious the Scots, they invented everything, don't you know...
That's very true. For example, copper wire was invented by two scotsmen fighting over a penny.

Dark has no speed, as it never moves. It is omnipresent, encompassing the universe. The idea that darkness moves in when the light is removed is simply an optical illusion. When there is light it simply masks the omnipresent darkness, but it is still there.

The universe is created from light and darkness (the darkness gives the light form). Total darkness is indistinguishible from total light.

BTW, for some fun: (Why No One Has Measured The Speed Of Light)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark has no speed, as it never moves. It is omnipresent, encompassing the universe. The idea that darkness moves in when the light is removed is simply an optical illusion. When there is light it simply masks the omnipresent darkness, but it is still there.
Dunno - after a long bout of bending the elbow at the corner pub, a series of events takes place.
First, gravity kicks in.
Then there's the tremendous flash of light as the face-plant occurs (a result of gravity, of course).
Then darkness rushes in, obliterating everything...

But!
In March 2002,

I hope they didn't pay too much/anything for that research!
If the government was involved, it had major cost overruns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back