WHEN IS TAMIYA PAINT COMPLETELY MIXED

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
This is a dumb question I should have asked years ago. I've tried to Google it but no matter how I word it, I only get answers for paint/thinner ratios. Below is a photo of of Tamiya Titanium Silver(bottle from my shaken not stirred days) which best illustrates what I'm asking. This was stirred for almost two minutes and still multi-toned. Should this be mixed longer to try and get a more mono-tone colour. Just curious if I'm getting all the paint ingredients mixed as well as I should

upload_2018-8-8_13-8-21.png

Geo.. all colours , both the enamels and acrylic ones , need to be stirred as long as their tone got the same solid tinge without any dark or light streaks and clumps.. Unfortunately these metalic ones are more prone to getting worse of quality. A such multi-tone of the silver usually means that a paint is losing its properties or there is wrong ratio of the thinner to the paint pigment that causes getting the silver dust worse.. You may try to get some of the paint and transfer it to another container and then add some of a fresh thinner. If the colour can be stirred well it means there is less of the thinner in the paint. But if it gets a darker tone or becomes again the multi-tone the paint is useless.

Depending upon exactly what you mean by "mixed" always. Paints are mixtures in particular they are SUSPENSIONS. The quality of the grinding process of the pigment determines the suspension settling time. The coarser the grind the quicker it will settle into layers. Metalic paints have actual metal ground into very fine particulates well in excess of 1000 nm in size. As such the mixture will always be heterogeneous and will settle into layers. The grinding process is time consuming and expensive so at some point the manufacturers say: Close Enough. Thus you are always going to see that laminar flow pattern especially in metallics
For particulates to remain in suspension they have to be less than 1000 nm in size. These are still mixtures and are heterogeneous BUT these COLLOIDAL suspensions now do not settle. Molecular agitation "holds" the particles aloft
To become a homogeneous mixture, particulate size must be less than 1 nm or molecular sized. You now have a Solution.
Water molecules dissolved in air - Water Vapor is a true solution
1 nm particulates in air form a suspension we call clouds. They easily "float" aloft. The particulates attract water molecules and the particulates grow in size. As the particulates grow in size they begin to block light and appear darker. When the particulates reach a size in excess of 1000 nm the settling process begins. As the particulate size gets larger and larger the terminal velocity of the particulate increases. The particulates will settle when their terminal velocity exceeds the wind velocity. That's rain.

Well put Mike.
I knew, but couldn't put it into words.!
Pearls shimmer the same way in paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back