Which airplanes weren't given a fighting chance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They were, and this makes me think about what the section is about...

Planes that were potentially good but not used for political reasons or whatever, or planes that were used but didnt see much service due to the wars end?

i think the name of the thread more implies planes that were in time to see allot of serivce but were stopped from doing so by political reasons etc..........

because planes towards the wars end were either given the chance to fight for a couple of months at the end of the war or could've seen post war service..........

Yeah. But here's an exanple of an aircraft that didnt see the service it would've at the end of WWII but saw action in Korea: The P-51 Twin Mustang.

Infact, it was the Twin Mustang that shot down the first north korean aircraft in the korean war!

The B-36 Peacemaker. Never got to fly in its intended role as a bomber. The B-109Z- a double varient of the Bf-109 never flew. The He-117 Grief- if they redesigned the engines it could really have worked as a long range bomber!!!

It wasn't that the B-36 wasn't given a fighting chance, she did she post WWII service but she was too late to see any action in WWII and the inter-continental bombing role wasn't needed by the end of the war, although it was useful in the cold war, and the He-177 was given a fighting chance, but as you said the engines were a problem, she was still given a fighting chance though, that's like the saying the manchester would have been a good plane if they'd put 4 merlins in it, oh, no wait :-k

The Romanian IAR-80/81 fighter never had the chance to take on mid or late-war Allied fighters with anything like even odds...
Because the stupid Luftwaffe commanders refused to supply the IAR factory with BMW-801 engines or provide some of the necessary tools for licence production , this Romanian -built fighter had to finish the war with virtually the same engine it started : IAR K14 ( 1040 horsepower at best ), a locally produced version of the French Gnome-Rhone 14M radial engine ...

Had the IAR-80/81's beend refitted with the BMW-801 they might have stood a fighting chance against the Russian La-5, or the American P-38's and P-51's it faced in 1944...

Good point.
I always liked the IAR 80/81 airframe. However it remains questionable how good the plane could be with a BMW 801. Nice idea.

delcyros said:
Good point.
I always liked the IAR 80/81 airframe. However it remains questionable how good the plane could be with a BMW 801. Nice idea.

Think about this : a fighter that could achieve a top speed of maximum 505 km/h ( 316 mph ) gave quite a good acount of itself in the air battles of summer 1944 against the 15th USAAF, when IAR-81/80 squadrons claimed close to 100 confirmed heavy bombers.

Former engineers considered that with the BMW 801 the IAR-80 could have exceeded the Bf-109G6 i!!

There are several questionable points: The rumanian claimed 100 heavys shot down in 1944?
A) What are the sources saying to this (official US loss reports)
B) What planes did they fly
C) How many (of the?) claims contributed to german units there

Then the Bf-109 G6: It is very easy to say so, because you will find (surely) a version which has low performance (G6/R6) but also the better ones? G6AS? In clean fighter configuration? I don´t think so.
What remains is the point that the IAR had the potential to be an excellent fighter with a better engine but further redesignings would cost time, which simply wasn´t avaiable. However it is a wild looking plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back