Which airplanes weren't given a fighting chance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Junkers Ju-390 was six engined. Look:

ju_390.jpg

So, you call a B-17 a two-engined bomber? After all it's got two engines on one wing. What do you call single-engined bombers? That must put you in a tight spot ... I mean ...do you say 0.5-engined bomber? You can't say no-engined bomber, that's just being silly 'cos ...you'd be screwed if a glide bomb was there ...no engine ...what's half of none?

I think P40 that wasn'tused to its potencial because it didn't get the credit that maybe it deserved? Why didn't they give it a Merlin 61? Why did they stop at the merlin 25

I feel the same about the P40, it was a good plane that could have lasted the whole war if the upgrades were instituted. Instead, Curtiss shunned the upgrades because they could save money by just producing minorly improved models to sell to the military. Here is a model picture of what the P40 could have been developed into.

P.S. regarding a previous post, the P40's final model would have had 4 20mm guns or 6 50 cals, not the 4 50 cals stated by someone else.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=PD104

Excellant picture. I'm glad you agree with me. I've always liked the P40 I don't know why it just liked better than it performed.

MacArther said:
I feel the same about the P40, it was a good plane that could have lasted the whole war if the upgrades were instituted.

They were used throughout the war. The last of the P-40s were retired from USAAF service in 1948. An order was placed for 1,000 P-40Ns in June of 1944, although it was later reduced to 220. The last one off the production line was in November of 1944. So they were in use throughout and still ordered into late 1944.

Going to the other end of the war I would have liked the Fokker G1 to ahve had a better chance. Its battle lasted days and most of them were just off the production line. If it had been in numbers then who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back