Which Blue ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I'm intending to re-paint the 'failed' Mirage IIIC from the current GB, in the Armee de L'Air "Air Defence" scheme, with the blue upper surfaces.
This is described as blue-grey paint, Celomer 6346 - 2617, and appears to be similar to the RAF PRU Blue.
Using Humbrol enamels, I think that their Azure No.157 matt, with a touch of Blue No.25 matt might do the trick.
Thoughts ?

According to books about the Mirage it should be the blue-grey FS 25164 - Vallejo 71.111 UK Mediterranean Blue. IMHO the closest match would be Humbrol 144.
However a couple of web sources says it could be the Vallejo Color - Mirage Blue 70.900 - FS 35164. Also Vallejo Model Air 71.290 or 71.299 - Intermediate Blue FS35164.

Thanks my friend.
The Humbrol 144 looks quite grey on the colour chart, but of course that's not really an accurate guide. I'll get some and see what it looks like.

I see. Also I found that the Mr.Color C337 can be

Thanks again. Don't know if I can get Mr.Color.
Xtracolor gloss probably has the colour in its range, although I'd prefer to spray matt, and then gloss coat, due to having to rub down the surface to remove the AK Xtreme Metal paint.

Had a look on the Humbrol conversion web page, and that also shows Humbrol No.144, Intermediate Blue.
I'll give that a try, if I can get some - got to order on-line these days, with a minimum order.

For a second I was expecting a thread about what color the WW2 RAF "sky" was! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back