Which wash?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
Not sure if this comes under painting or weathering TBH. I'm trying to up my game a bit with my current build and am going to have a go at using an enamel wash to bring out the panel lines. As the plane is basically a light grey in colour I thought I'd use a dark grey wash so it doesn't look too heavy, but it occurred to me that for the "movey bits" (flaps, rudder etc.) I could use a black wash to give the impression of a deeper recess than the panel lines and give a bit of delineation. Would this work or would it look daft?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The wash sounds OK, but for the hinge lines of the control surfaces, try using a pencil. The retractable type are good for this, having a fine 'lead', which can be sharpened to a chisel point on a piece of fine grit wet 'n dry or sandpaper.
Do one pass with the pencil at first, and if you then think it needs more highlighting, do a second pass. Blow off any graphite dust that may be left in the groove, and any 'silvery' shine from the graphite will disappear under a clear matt coat.

Pencil works but I have used black wash with good effect as well.

I think the suggested approach of dark grey wash in panel lines and black along hinge lines reflects a good approach and I agree that a healthy respect for the potential of overdoing washes is a good thing.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not really in a position to judge but I've seen pics of models with panel lines so black it looks like the plane was held together with bitumen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back