Which country designed the best engines for WWII?

Which country designed the best aircraft engines for WWII?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have no one specific country as each made great units I tend to favour the US for radials and the UK for inline but there are too many to be precise as for the Merlin I have read several articals saying that the US produced Merlins even when Identical in spec where better because of the quality of raw materials available to manufacturers in the US. After the outbreak of war in Europe the material shortage caused a certain easing of quality control in favour of quantity.

I can't vote on this poll!

This is an Olympic Game where three athletics catches the same "time"!
For me there are three Gold-Medals!

The Radials goes to PR 2800/ USA

The best liquid cooled inline goes to RR Merlin/ GB

The best innovations from begin till end of the war/ Germany
(bosch engine System for the BMW 801, the mechanical injection DB 601, the boost systems MW 50 and GM1)
And a very close match up (DB 600er series, Jumo 213 and BMW 801) with no quality of fuel and no quality of raw materials available to manufacture.

Hell going for UK as they did design the Nene and Derwent for WWII(just a bit late).

I think Britain for the Allies. Spitfire and Mustang, powered by Merlins. It doesn't get better than that for the alllies, unless of course for huge power, and then the P-47 and even the Corsair with it's P W wins.

De Havilland Mosquito switched to a narrower prop and from 3 blade to 4 blade design so engine torque could be made to have maximum at a higher RPM so to aid in taking off of a carrier deck...throttle response ensured they would rev higher and respond faster for carrier deck take-offs...besides Doolittle's B-25 force, did any other Navy use and operate twin engine planes on carrier decks...

second question....did the props on the sea-fire, Seafury, F4u corsair, and other single engine planes use a different prop, or one specifically designed for carrier take-offs??

It was a very difficult question, because:

* In US was probably best factories and very good sources of materials. Also US has had a very nice radial engines and using of turbo supercharger has had great influence.
* In England was very good inline engines and sleeve valve radials, but had a some lack of manufacturing equipments and materials due bombing raids. Also in my opinion RR get a best influence of centrifugal supercharges in Merlin engine. Developed also very compact H-24 and X-24 engines.
* In Germany was absolutely best technical innovations, but also has had a lack of materials and manufacturing facilities. Also lack of hi-grate fuel caused lack of engine performance. Was only one country in WWII era with rocket and jet engines in military use.
* In Japan was very high productivity of engines, but lack of own innovation. Also if I has understand correct, lack of proper carburettor designs caused some performance lost of engines.
* In Russia it was generated lot of improvements of copied US and France engines, but don't have actually any good own engine design and every engines based on design before war era.

I say Germany because they were ahead in this field, flying jet a/c while all others were still flying propeller driven a/c.

The HeS-011 is a good example of how far the Germans were in this field.

As for piston engines, well I always admired the DB-605 which achieved some astonishing power outputs compared to its weight and size.

Soren
on what was so astonishing in power outputs of 35l DB 605 when compared to 27l RR Merlin? After all 605 had almost 1/3 bigger displacement.

Juha

I went for Germany simply because of the variety of first rate engines they produced. They and the UK had very good Inlines, radials and jet engines but I gave it to the Germans as they had a slight edge in the radials.

The USA probably had the best radials but their inlines were not as good as the Germans and of course they were behind in the Jet race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back