Which country designed the best engines for WWII?

Which country designed the best aircraft engines for WWII?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While you are correct that the rotary and radial are totally different the V, W and H engines are often officially classified as in line engines by multiple air forces and manufacturers.

For those who do not know the difference.

On a radial the crankshaft is attached to the propeller and the propeller rotates but the engine does not. The propeller may be driven by a reduction gear or be direct drive

On a rotary the crankshaft is attached to the aircraft and both the propeller and the engine rotate at the same speed because the propeller is bolted directly to the engine.

If I may use automotive terms, an inline was usually all cylinders in line, such as Plymouth 6 or Chrysler 8, while Chrysler V8 determined configuration. For instance, Cadillacs were all vees but still referred to as V16,V12 or V8.

Well, cars were generally either in-lines or Vs.
Darn few W and especially radials :)

Flat engines were usually counted on the fingers of one hand in any given model year until Subaru showed up.

What is technically correct vs what is a convenient terminology (only 2-3 names) for the majority of the engines you are dealing with.

OK
1 finger = VW
2nd finger = BMW
3rd finger = Citroën

Zundapp wasn't making flat engines after WW II when Citroën was.
1st sentence was talking about cars.

I figured I have a few fingers to spare even counting Porsche ;)
I just mentioned Zundapp to show how old flat twins were, a popular layout at one time.

The Porsche dates to WW1 as an aircraft engine, but the first engines ran 1919, so too late.

Volkswagen would like a word with you.
And Tucker and Chevrolet :lol:

In regards to "inline" engines, the aircraft world typically looks at an inline as a type that is not a radial.

The automotive world goes further to designate their engine types such as the horizontal (four, six, etc.), the "L" (which could be four, six, eight) aka "straight", the "V" (which could be four, six, eight, ten, twelve or sixteen) and all of these engine types would be considered an "inline" in the aircraft world.

OK
1 finger = VW
2nd finger = BMW
3rd finger = Citroën

Zundapp wasn't making flat engines after WW II when Citroën was.
1st sentence was talking about cars.

I figured I have a few fingers to spare even counting Porsche ;)

5th finger = Alfa Romeo.
6th finger = obviously the Subaru

Have had the A-R 33 1.5 TI, two double carbs, 105 HP. Revved like crazy, and gave the Golf 1 GTi a good run for it's money, at least in the straight line. The 33 really required the sporty after-market lowered suspension and shallower tires to do the corners well; feel of the steering and the steering itself was very good, though. Overall quality was meh.

Well, cars were generally either in-lines or Vs.
Darn few W and especially radials :)

Flat engines were usually counted on the fingers of one hand in any given model year until Subaru showed up.

What is technically correct vs what is a convenient terminology (only 2-3 names) for the majority of the engines you are dealing with.
VW....Porsche....Corvair....Panhard....Continental....Lancia....Lycoming...Citroen...McCulloch....BMW....Tatra....Alfa Romeo...Ferrari............

Yeah, the only horizontal aircraft engine adapted to a production automobile, would be the Franklin 0-355, which was used in the Tucker 48.

Otherwise, the horizontal auto engines that I can recall, are the BMW, Porsche, Jowett, Ferrari, Subaru, Lancia, Alfa-Romeo, Citroen, VW and Panhard.

Of note: Porsche's engine was based on Volkswagon's but it's been claimed that VW's Type 1 engine was a copy of Tatra's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back