Which country designed the best engines for WWII?

Which country designed the best aircraft engines for WWII?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and that weird piping and elbows and other changes in the direction of the airflow all produce duct losses which make the engine less efficient.

PT boats did not use Rolls-Royce engines; they used a marine derivative of a Packard engine designed before the Merlin

and that weird piping and elbows and other changes in the direction of the airflow all produce duct losses which make the engine less efficient.
I think with the technology of the time that was advantageous (not changes of direction but the length and volume of the whole thing) in having stable combustion.

Don't be silly.

The mating faces were finished by highly skilled craftsmen who hand lapped them together. There was no need for a gasket.
Rolls Royce oil was very sophisticated, in most cases it simply refused to leave the architecture of the labyrinth and gallery and also had nothing to do with "mating surfaces" which were considered vulgar in mixed company.

Were there any other nations other than Great Britain that got a H-block engine into mass production and widescale usage? As far as I know, the Napier Sabre was the only one to make it into production and it had one of the highest compression ratios of any engine of the war. IMO, it was a greater technological marvel than any of the WW2 jet engines. I gotta believe that Great Britain was the leader in technical sophistication when it came to IC engine development and design.

Users who are viewing this thread