Which is the best-looking Japanese fighter of WWII?

Which was the best looking Japanese fighter of WWII?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
Ok, we did the Russians, how about the Japanese? This is totally subjective, what Japanese fighter do YOU think was the best looking? Again, I'm likely to forget one, so bear with me. I don't know whether to include a couple of types, A7M, for instance, that didn't see combat. I think I'll not-- only types that saw combat.

I always liked the lines of the Ki-61 Tony. It's a cross between a BF-109, a P-51 and a Fiat G.55

If prototypes were included the Ki-83 or maybe J7W would probably be big on the list. (the Ki-83 for me personally)

Some of the J1N's were pretty nice looking too, but I think I'm half way on the Ki-43 and Ki-46...

Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon). Best looking radial fighter of the war IMO. Had some pretty nice paint jobs, was long and slender, elegant looking (for a radial, thats quite a feat!). Hayabusa is a cool name too. Still photos of it look great, but if you watch the videos of it on YouTube, you can't help but fall in love.

THe A5M was a pretty plane with the elliptical wings and the interesting upper fusa;age and tail.
a5m4_3v.jpg

And the A5M3 prototype (with Hispano-Suiza 12x V-12) looks very sleek too, the inline engine blending very well with the design.
CHOa7093.01.jpg

THe A5M was a pretty plane with the elliptical wings and the interesting upper fusa;age and tail.

And the A5M3 prototype (with Hispano-Suiza 12x V-12) looks very sleek too, the inline engine blending very well with the design.

But you didn't vote for it.

Nope, I still think the Ki-43's the nicest looking, but the A5M might be my secon choice. (since we're not including prototypes, the A5M3 doen't count anyway -like the Ki-83-, and I don't really like the fixed gear on it, the Ki-27's gear looked better matched)

I voted for Tony, but I am also fond of the chubby Jack, not so much as a sleek beautiful design, but because it looks robust and purposeful.

I think the N1K-J (probably the N1K2 moreso) was the most substantial, purposeful, and rugged looking of the Japanese fighters. (and the look fits pretty well with the actual characteristics of the plane)

I think the N1K-J (probably the N1K2 moreso) was the most substantial, purposeful, and rugged looking of the Japanese fighters. (and the look fits pretty well with the actual characteristics of the plane)

It was very much so. The thing that amazes me is how the Japanese never seemed to manage to put a 400 mph fighter into the squadrons during the entire war. George, Jack, Tony, Tojo, Frank, and even the A7M were all under 400. officially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back