Which low-production AC had the greatest effect on the war?

Which low-production aircraft had the greatest effect on the war?

• D 520

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Sunderland

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Whirlwind

• Gladiator

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • F2A

• PB2Y Coronado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hs 123

• Fw 200

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Fw 189

• Hs 129

• Yer-2

• Fulmar

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Pe-8

• TBD

• SB2U

• Ar 196

• P-61

• Bv 138

• He 115

• Skua

• Boomerang

• P.11

• D.21

• IAR 80

• H8K

• H6K

• J2M

• Ki-100

• E14Y

• Baltimore

• Me 163

• Me 321/323

• LeO 451

• Re 2001

• Other

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Where is the Hs.123?

That would get my vote :D

*found it* *flys the Hs and harasses everyone to vote* Mahhhh *machine gun noise*

This poll was very hard to decide, but I think the P61 had the biggest impact on the war. It was effectively used as a night fighter in the European, Pacific, China-Burma, and Mediterranean theaters and it was a P61 that scored the last allied victory before VJ day.

Did it really have a greater effect on the war, then say some of the other choices. Not saying you are wrong, just conversing...

I figure the Me. 163 had that "scare" factor going for it. As one of the "wonder-weapons" it's effect was more psychological than physical, but that can be more damaging in a short term way.

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Even a revolutionary fighter manufactured in too large numbers to make this list, the Me-262 (seems to be cut off generally below 1,000, though more Baltimores than that, or Me262's, were produced), didn't really make a big impact on the war in the end. A conventional fighter built in small numbers would have a much tougher time doing so; numbers were pretty important for single engine fighters.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the a/c which naturally appeal as top of this list in importance tend to be large maritime patrol/strike types, because that's a role where smaller numbers could accomplish more.

I would say Fw 200, and the fact that around 1/3 as many were produced as Sunderlands acts in Condor's not Sunderland's favor if you look at the question as relative impact compared to numbers: the Sunderland didn't have 3 times the impact IMO. The Condor affected British stategy in the convoy war noticeably in its heyday and was nearly unique as a German weapon at the time. The Sunderland was one among many types of a/c and other resources going after U-boats in a relatively similar way. But I'd rate it No.2, with the other flying boats like 'Mavis', 'Emily' and perhaps Coronado following it.

After that, the category of British carrier a/c involved in small but not unimportant early campaigns might follow, Gladiator (especially adding in its significant land role in some small scale campaigns), Skua, Fulmar.

The USAAF needed a real night fighter in the Pacific lest Japanese night raids be a more serious nuisance against bomber bases in '44-45 particularly, and P-61 was there; but in ETO the P-61 just added a bit to Anglo-US nightfighter capabilities, and the US itself had less need of one.

I think the poll's initial question is valid, but also agree the follow up line "Some aircraft were built in small numbers but still had a sizable impact on the course of the war." might be an overstatement even for the winner, FW 200.

Joe

Last edited:
I supose for me, it would be the A-36. Without USAAF 'giving' NAA an opportunity to stay in the game when there were no procurement dollars left for fighters, the US P-51 production may have ended before RAF proved the merlin concept. It surely could have been started again but NAA would possibly have lost several months in getting the P-51B into ETO...

+1

Short Sunderland, because it carried out an unsung but vital and necessary role during WW2; maritime patrol. The Sundy was in production and service throughout the war and afterwards (service from 1938 to 1959). Even with the introduction of long range land based bombers in numbers, the Sundy's importance and contribution to Coastal Command did not diminish, this is why I choose it over the Fw 200, as effective as it was - the Fw ultimately proved unsuitable for the task due to structural weakness.

Also, although attacks by German maritime aircraft, including the Fw 200 on Allied shipping were devastating, they did little to change the inevitable outcome of the war, which was, as Steve put it, a numbers game and although the Sundy wasn't built in large numbers, its importance in the role it carried out throughout the entire war and afterwards, was considerable (the RNZAF operated them until 1967!).

It is also worth remembering that if anything was going to knock Britain for six during both WW1 and WW2 it was Germany's submarines and the Sundy played not only a role in their detection and destruction (in WW2), but also in preventing attacks on merchant shipping by its very presense as a deterrent. I used to know a guy who flew maritime patrol sorties in Sundys and he said they were usually 90% boredom and 10% pant wetting adrenaline rush!

Last edited:
Sunderland wins over Fw200, it served the entire war admirably in the anti-sub role while the Condor was withdrawn from most anti-shipping roles in mid-1941 despite the great losses it inflicted.

Hard, but I went with the Sunderland, for its role in Allied victory in the Battle of the Atlantic

No love for Mavis and Emily? These Kawanishi sisters were the IJN's primary PBs during the war. I feel it's fair to lump them together because the two types totaled less than 1000 made. They fought from the Aleutians to the Solomons. The IJN's capacity to fight would have been significantly impaired without the Kawanishis.

I was going to say Lysander for all the agents dropped into the field but over 1700 made then I was going to say the V2 rocket for all the strategic resources its production diverted from Germany's war effort but you know they made 3000 of them. That device almost lost Germany the war singlehandedly . Yes I know a bit sarcastic :)

Im don't really think of the Sunderland as a low production aircraft, but being as it's on this list I'm forced to vote for it as it knocks spots off everything else. The Condor would have been my choice in the absence of the Sunderland.

The B-239 (F2A) of the Finnish Airforce would have left a dangerous void if it weren't available to them, even in the limited numbers that saw service. With a kill ratio of 32:1, it contributed greatly against the Soviets.

Martin b10 bomber otherwise known as the Glenn Martin for its role of reconnaissance in the mederterainian that allowed the sinking of the Italian fleet in Taranto harbour where the Sunderlands were to slow and loud for the purpose. If the Italians were able to run the med it is difficult to see an allied victory, cut off from the Suez Canal .

Martin B-10

300px-Martin-B-10B.jpg

Martin Maryland or "Glen Martin" used in the Mediterranean.

Martin-Maryland.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back