Which low-production AC had the greatest effect on the war?

Which low-production aircraft had the greatest effect on the war?

• D 520

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Sunderland

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Whirlwind

• Gladiator

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • F2A

• PB2Y Coronado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hs 123

• Fw 200

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Fw 189

• Hs 129

• Yer-2

• Fulmar

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Pe-8

• TBD

• SB2U

• Ar 196

• P-61

• Bv 138

• He 115

• Skua

• Boomerang

• P.11

• D.21

• IAR 80

• H8K

• H6K

• J2M

• Ki-100

• E14Y

• Baltimore

• Me 163

• Me 321/323

• LeO 451

• Re 2001

• Other

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the clarification shortround, I made an assumption when I heard about the machine and its value in the Med as to which one it was and did not dig deeper. Once again thanks :)

i think the fulmar. arrived just in time, when other allied naval fighters were either lacking the necessary performance, or were insufficiently developed to do the job that was needed. And in the kind of war that britain found itself after the fall of france through to the end of 1942, the britah absolutely had to put their fleet in harms way to deny the enemy the freedom of action they needed to conquer all the parts of the workd that they needed. i dont think it is any overstatement to claim that the fulmar prevented the axis from winning the war, or forcing the allies into a very tenuous situation

"...The Condor would have been my choice in the absence of the Sunderland"

Also agreed.

Which aircraft did the Japanese use to reconnoiter the attack on Pearl Harbor?
How about Midway?

Which aircraft did the Japanese use to reconnoiter the attack on Pearl Harbor?
How about Midway?

Japanese cruiser Chikuma (1938) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"At the crucial Battle of Midway, Chikuma and CruDiv 8 was in Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo's Carrier Striking Force. On 4 June, Tone and Chikuma each launched two Aichi E13A1 "Jake" long-range reconnaissance floatplanes to search out 300 miles (480 km) for American carriers. The Tone floatplane discovered American ships, but did not recognize that the fleet was a carrier group, which proved to be a crucial mistake. Chikuma's floatplane found the USS Yorktown, and shadowed the carrier for the next three hours, guiding the bombers that attacked Yorktown that evening. Two other floatplanes from Chikuma continued to observe the heavily damaged Yorktown through the night, during which time one plane and crew were lost. Chikuma then directed the submarine I-168 to find and attack the Yorktown the following morning."

Attachments

• E13A-3s.jpg
    E13A-3s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 103
Jakes were really very versatile ship based float planes, that along with her later replacements enabled the japanese to retain a marked advantage in surface search capability almost to the end of the war.

i think the fulmar. arrived just in time, when other allied naval fighters were either lacking the necessary performance, or were insufficiently developed to do the job that was needed. And in the kind of war that britain found itself after the fall of france through to the end of 1942, the britah absolutely had to put their fleet in harms way to deny the enemy the freedom of action they needed to conquer all the parts of the workd that they needed. i dont think it is any overstatement to claim that the fulmar prevented the axis from winning the war, or forcing the allies into a very tenuous situation

I fully agree on the value of the Fulmar but after reading all the post I've voted for the Fw 200, I think that the response to it required a lot of resources

If the poll would have been restricted to fighters then, yes, Fairey Fulmar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back