Which side would you fly for?.......

Which side would you fly for?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Allies, Pacific Theater: F2A-1 2, F4F-3, FM-1 2, F6F, F4U, PBM, PB2Y, PBJ, PB4Y, SB2Us SBD: Obviously anything in blue or black (Black Cat PBY). Besides I don't like the cold. It's just too cold when its cold. anywhere above 75 degrees F. Northern Europe is way to cold. Did I mention I don't like the cold?

Last edited:
Finn flyers are flying for Finland. Finland was Axis at one time, and then was an allied nation. But she wasnt both at the same time.

Which is more than can be said for the Italians after 43, or the Yugoslavs, or the French/Dutch/belgian/Norwegians for that matter, who fought for both sides at the same time (not the same person, obviously)

"... Finland was Axis "

Please clarify Parsifal. Do you mean Finland was an Axis Alliance signatory, or, that Finland first fought on the Axis side.

I somehow remember Finland in a different role than Romania or Hungary.

MM

"... Finland was Axis "

Please clarify Parsifal. Do you mean Finland was an Axis Alliance signatory, or, that Finland first fought on the Axis side.

I somehow remember Finland in a different role than Romania or Hungary.

MM

Finland had a complicated war. They started out neutral, were invaded by the soviets (with tacit aquiesence by the Germans), surrendered, joined the Axis alliance as a "co-belligerent" (which in my book is putting a nicety on the fact thet they were now Axis) two weeks after the beginning of Barbarossa. They were much more independant than any of the other Axis partners, and absolutely refused to allow Germans into certain, more populated areas, such as Karelia. In particular they refused any german attacks onto Leningrad from Finn soil. The Germans were generally restricted to deployments north of the Arctic Circle, though there were Finn troops stationed and actively engaged in that sector as well.

Finally, like they did to all their allies, as the walls came down around Hitlers empire, he behaved in his usual erratic fashion and decided he needed yet another enemy. Finlands abandonment of the germans was sealed when they were betrayed by the germans, who attacked them after the Finns asked the Germans to leave the country, following the ceasefire with the Finns had been forced to accept with the soviets,

The Finns never declared war on the US, and whilst they declared wars on the British, never attacked them (though they were attacked by the brits in Kirkenes, and in attacks against Finnish shipping). The Finns steadfastly refused to allow the Germans based in Finland to carry out any attacks on allied shipping in Neutral waters. The finnish war was strictly aginst the Soviets, and finland only ever wanted to get waht was theirs back, not to embark on a war of aggression or conquest.

So, to answer your question, the Finnish situation was unique, but for a while they were still Axis belligerents. I think of all the Axis powers, the Finns fought the most honourable (if unusual) of wars, being the plaything of nearly all the major powers at one time or another. One story I particularly like from the Finns....a finnish soldier was persoanally singled out as an iron cross recipient, for his conspicuous bravery in saving the lives of 18 strident SS men. He politley refused, citing his overt Jewish heritage as the reason why he could not accept. Talk about sticking it to the nazis!!!!!!

I may be a Brit, and the spit is a beauty, but the USA had the coolest aircraft, and the most diverse set of fighters. Were I to be in the thick, I,d feel safest in a P51.

I would go for Great Britain. They did a good job getting the mission accomplished in the obsolete Gladiators, Swordfishes, and the Albacores. Later in the war, they came out with the greatest variety of aircraft (in my prospective).

Thanks,
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back