Which side would you fly for?.......

Which side would you fly for?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D said:
I believe injury should be given recognition, not a medal. Dieppe raid was majority Canadian, so they were probably in a good situation to do it. And I doubt it was a whole division, but even then they deserve a medal but that's not because of their injury.
And that's not really fair saying the British Commandos couldn't, it's more of the Commandos didn't.

Yes, the names can get confusing but I've never heard of the Essex Scottish, the name itself is confusing since Essex is in South England. Anywho, the 75th Indian in Burma had British, Ghurka and Indians in it, so it does get confusing.

To say the truth, Plan_D, Essex Scottish was a Canadian regiment from Ontario. It was renamed "Essex and Kent Scottish" after the war. "Kent" came from the name of a soldier that fought at Dieppe.

Yes, the Dieppe raid was mostly Canadian, but it had Brittish commandos in it. Here is a short resume on how the raid was made:

A short moment before the main force arrive, two groups of commandos landed on the far sides of the beaches to destroy the costal cannons. Both ewere able to accomplish their mission but one of those groups suffered heavy losses.

Then the main force arrived... It was composed of three waves. The first wave was the Essex Scottish regiment. They were charged of taking the city. If they were successful, the second wave (composed of British commandos) and the third wave (composed of tanks) would land on the beaches and help the Canadians.

But sh*t has hit the fan... When the 12 soldiers from the Essex Scottish entered the city, they sent a message to the HQ in London (the message was "relayed" to the HQ by an Allied ship). The soldiers sent the message : "12 Essex Scottish soldiers has entered the city." But, due to an unknown event, the HQ received a message telling that the city was under Canadian control !

So they sent the second and third waves in. British commandos got shot as rabbits and tanks were destroyed as soon as they landed on the beach. It was a disaster !

That's the story of the Dieppe raid.

I found some interresting URLs about the Essex Scottish regiment.
:arrow: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/essex_scottish.htm
:arrow: http://www.ciaccess.com/~59army/ekscot.html

I know about the Dieppe raid, and most of those on the invasion got ripped apart by artillery, something the Commandos couldn't avoid. Still it was unfair saying that the Commandos couldn't if they had of gone in first, who knows they might have done the same as the Canadians.
There were also 50 U.S Marines in that invasion.

The British Commandos have a lot to their name in World War 2, they were one of the greatest fighting units of the war. The Chindits in my opinion were the greatest fighting unit though.

Lightning Guy wrote:
I don't think every injury is deserving of one, but many are. If a guy loses an arm or a leg serving his country he deserves some time of recognition and symbol from his country of the appreciation.

This time, I agree with LG. Many wounds deserve a medal. Many of the survivors of the Dieppe raid in the Essex Scottish regiment got wounded... But 12 of them were able to enter the city and hold a part of it untill the HQ called them back. No other regiment (even the British commandos) were able to do so. Think about it : 12 soldiers against a whole German division... They were able to hold them off ! (And the Essex Scottish regiment is a Canadian one.) I don't know if they got one, but those guys deserved a medal.
i aggre with lg to but i think they then should have been given time away or a different job in the forcese

If you are all talking medels and commondations, this is Memorial Weekend in US and we are dedicating our first National Monument, In Washington. It was only 60 years in the making, but this is going to be a very moving monument.

One of the photos that I have seen that really moved me was a Vet laying a single red rose over the name of Terawa. I hope you all look into the Memorial. :)

plan_D said:
I know about the Dieppe raid, and most of those on the invasion got ripped apart by artillery, something the Commandos couldn't avoid. Still it was unfair saying that the Commandos couldn't if they had of gone in first, who knows they might have done the same as the Canadians.
There were also 50 U.S Marines in that invasion.

The British Commandos have a lot to their name in World War 2, they were one of the greatest fighting units of the war. The Chindits in my opinion were the greatest fighting unit though.

Plan_D, I never said British commandos were useless or that they haven't done their job. I know what they did and I respect them...

All I have said is that they were not able to enter the city of Dieppe while 12 men from the Essex Scottish were able to. May be it was only a "lucky shot", but they did it !

They sure did, and that deserves a medal.

And no Lanc, it's not restricted to ground units. I'll be interested to hear your verdict on the matter, a Lanc squadron I imagine.

It certainly could, I imagine every unit in the war could be argued for. I'm interested in which unit your vote would go for?

Mine goes to the Prince of Wales own West Yorkshire~75th Indian Division~8th Army.

Well, my favorite was the 475th FG because of there success with the P-38. In Europe I liked the 56th FG because of there success and killer nickname, The Wolfpack.

Now now MP-Willow we all know that if britain had fallen the entire World would have been doomed... 8) :eyeslam:

I would have personally flown for germany, I like the planes they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back