Which theater of War Would you choose for flying?

Which theater of World War II Would you choose for flying?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Naval fighters not Navel...we're not talking about belly-buttons here.

It wasn't really that hard for A-10s to achieve kills in the Gulf, with the Iraqis digging in their T-55/54s and T-72s. Plus the thousands of veichles on the road from Basra to Baghdad, which even as an aircraft technician my dad was paid to clean up the mess...that's right...burnt corpses. After all my dad was in Iraq, the closest to the problem...those CH-47s don't half look strange with sand filters and in the middle of desert with nothing but three tents beside them...

...back on to World War 2...I think...

Since it's all opinion based this thread not surprisingly died long ago. The only reason I would want to fly in Europe would be to get my hands on a Me-262A-1a.

At what time of the war would you want to pilot a Hurricane C.C.?

I don't think I would have been big on flying any version of the 262 since the Allies virtually maintained standing patrols over its bases just waiting for one to take-off or land.

I could understand piloting a Hurrican during the BoB, but after that I don't know.

Did the Allies maintain nightfighter patrols over the base of Kommando Welter? Or did it not cause enough of a splash to deserve such attention?

LG there were no opposition to the night flying 262's by the RAF. Indeed several lancaster crews saw the jets flying by them but could not turn their turrets on the jets fast enough. The jet fatalities were all due to accidents. In the spring of 1945 the air base of Burg where 10./NJG 11 was located was obliterated by B-17's in a day raid. Only by minutes were most of the a/c and personell able to leave but some 5-6 jets were wiped out..... from here the jet unit flew off the autobahn with the jets hidden in the trees until the last minute before take off.

E `

Ok so we have come back to topic, but no one has said why they made the pick!

Some say close to home others just for fun. So I say Europe, but lets start with North Africa work over to the boot and Up the bloody thing. Then flying out of western Italy in a B-24 8) to eastern Europe, France and Germany! Though if all went well I might be back in the states before then with my 35 missions done! ;)

Bad thing about fighting in the pacific say that there was a storm ya went off course that would be it for you, wouldn't it?

Weather cause trouble in the ETO was well. In general, a plane could fly over a storm. If not, it was usually better safe than sorry and they would turn back.

WEather did have some problums but it was weather and luck that got the USAAC a A6M when it had to land in the Alutians. I think that is correct, help if it is not.

Lanc, why not fly in Burma in a Spifire and you could duel with the Japanese. ;)

Spitfires weren't numerous over Burma. They didn't even get any until 1942 if I remember correctly. The only plane my Grandad mentioned was the Hurricane, he used to see them buzz over his head when he was walking through the Jungle.

The europe theater since the jetaircrafts (+rocketpropelled) and many other to me interesting aircrafts flew and crashed there :p
the me-262, p-47, spittfire and etc, etc, were great aircrafts!
but still. the f4u is one hell of a good fighter ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back