Which theater of War Would you choose for flying? (1 Viewer)

Which theater of World War II Would you choose for flying?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Japanese did need a good tank, their lack of a tank did hurt them quite a bit. Your look on the Pacific seems to be only on the islands taken by the Marines, when in reality they were fighting in India, Burma and Singapore. The Japanese, and the Allies knew that the Japanese were at a disadvantage without an effective tank.
In fact the Japanese bought a Tiger, and Panther off the Germans in 1945 but they stayed in Germany (Lended from Japan) to defend the Reich.

The Marines did actually use their tanks very effectively for clearing the jungle, and burning out bunkers with their flame cannons (The flame armed ones)

ah little off topic aren't we Plan ? I am finding that these threads become very convoluted by some of you. Is this the result of lack of researching or sources ? possibly just being a gag party ?

yeah I know, I need to lighten up
food-smiley-010.gif

I need a cup, long night last eve............

You can't really get an extensive discussion from 'What theater of war would you choose for flying?' since it's all opinion based.

Plan_D, yes the Marines did use the tanks well and a lot of the vegitation was burned in part with Naypham, but still the volcanic or coral soils of a lot of the islands coupled with the well placed and dug in gun and troop posions in the Pacific made good tank use difficult. As for the tank in China-Burma-India (CBI) Theature yes they were used but I need to read more to be shure, but you are looking at more heavy jungle and mountains. Also remember the the IJA thought that they could win the fight because of the great "Fighting Warrior Spirit" of the troops. :)

a BIG FAT ?. why is the issue of tanks brought into this thread when one see's that the question was regarding flying ? see my point how easy these threads remain off topic ?

I don't know, Erich, but this is interesting also.

The Marines used their tanks to more effect than some may think. Yes, they were big bulks of metal charging through the Jungle but this was sometimes an advantage to the troops behind them. Clearing the Jungle itself and burning out the enemy (I may add it wasn't Napalm until late war).
On top of this tanks provided an effective mobile turret being dug in, in any event of a Japanese counter-attack, tanks are surprisingly well hidden in the Jungle.

In the CBI the British used their tanks to great effect, what seemed to be obselete designs in Europe were masters of the battlefield in India, and Burma. The thick armour of the Matilda proved invunerable to a lot of the Japanese AT equipment. This proved a huge disadvantage to the Japanese, and it is unfortunate that the tank forces in the Pacific are recognised as a failure when they weren't.
The Japanese needed a tank, and you'll find a lot of their tanks were dug in but were destroyed too easily because of weak armour. And in fact poor armament as well.

Or maybe it's that one I posted a pic of. Tank with wings attached.
To avoid confusion; it's the Il-2 Sturmovik 'The Flying Tank'

Well it is really the A-10 Thunderbolt 11
The Warthog nickname is given it because it just looks that ugly :)
What you get when you design a plane around a 6 barrel 30mm gatling gun 8) It is the grandson of the P-47!

No, he was refering to the A-10 Warthog. The modern day American tank-buster.

sorry guyz for not making myself clear, the A-10 wass called a Hog by it's pilots. Have interviewed 2 pilots that kicked Iraqui butt some years ago in 1994 during the 50th anniversary of D-day and the taking of Rome

Erich -I sort of said that. But then I hope the two pilots had some great stories.

The the 1991 Gulf War used the A-10 a lot even scored a kill over a helicopter.

Now we are getting off topic again, so I would say why not come back.

Affrica-the first test of the US Military. And the use of Navel fighters in support of the landings. Why not talk Wildcats flying in low over the Marines! Putting fire were they needed it the most. ;)

I know an A-10 pilot. He was twice decorated over the Gulf, one DFC and one Bronze Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back