Which was the more successful single engine dive bomber, the SBD, the JU-87 or D3A?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just like the look of the SBD, and one rule of aircraft design, if it looks good, it is good. "Be easy on the eye"

Every eye is different and I just on a 49 to 51 count prefer the D3A. Anyone who thinks the Ju87 looks good is cross eyed its functional and mean looking but its not easy on the eye. I think it was the best Dive Bomber though with its automatic pull out function.

Interesting fact I've not seen before. Thanks. Were they lost from the Zero attack or ditched at sea? Source please?

Lundstrom's First Team. In fact we only know that this encounter happened because of IJN reports, but the ultimate fate of those SBDs is unknown because none of their aircrew survived.

Every eye is different and I just on a 49 to 51 count prefer the D3A. Anyone who thinks the Ju87 looks good is cross eyed its functional and mean looking but its not easy on the eye. I think it was the best Dive Bomber though with its automatic pull out function.

Hopefully, double the payload vs. the competition counts for something. Ditto for non-problematic dive.

I've read the RAF wanted a dive-bombing sight that would put the bomb next to the ship, so it would damage the target by the underwater blast. They couldn't get that sorted.

Interestingly, the Fairey Barracuda didn't have any forward guns whatsoever. With its 240 mph top speed it was slower than the SBD, so not as useful in the CAP role. Too bad the intended Griffon-powered version wasn't developed. That model could have had a pair of 20mm cannons (my idea, not Fairey's).

Too bad they didnt get the Firefly into action earlier.

I was scrolling through the threads of time. It seems Lucky13 put up a similar thread in September, 2009.
He included the Skua (and the IL-2.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back