Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For the beauty and extreme exclusivity, I'd probably opt for a VL Pyörremyrsky.

Its at the Finnish aviation museum at Tikkakoski.

Hmmm, I'd go with a Defiant, to recreate a unique Battle of Britain flypast; RAF fighters, with a Spit Mk.I, Hurri Mk.I, Gladiator and Blenheim I, all of which there are airworthy examples. And heck, why not throw in a Luftwaffe element with a Bf 109E, Bf 110C, with a Do 17Z, Ju 88A-4, He 111H and Ju 87B-2?

Love a good mass formation, RAF Bomber Command; Wellington, Whitley, Manchester, Stirling, Halifax, Lancaster, Mosquito, Battle, Blenheim...

FAA formation, Sea Gladiator, Skua, Roc, Swordfish, Albacore, Barracuda, Fulmar, Firefly, Sea Hurricane, Seafire, Martlet, Hellcat, Corsair, Avenger...

WW2 four-engined heavies, Stirling, Halifax, Lancaster, He 177, B-17, B-24, B-29, Pe-8, P-108...

WW2 Jets, He 162, He 280, Me 262, Meteor Mk.I, Vampire, P-80, P-59, Kikka...

I'll settle for these though:

44528309430_ee438bfeb2_b.jpg
Spitfire formation

43402421264_5cec3bc210_b.jpg
1407 RIAT Trenchard Formation

43448651574_348e0e8a3e_b.jpg
1507 Flying Legends Buchons

As for any SINGLE, currently non-existent aircraft of WW II, damn the expense, the plane I'd want is the TBD. In memory of the heroic actions of it's crews.
It's tough to choose just one. I agree wholeheartedly with PFVA63. The B239/339 is my favorite. So I'm going with the TBD as the Buffalo has been previously selected.
I'm no pilot. I'd want my friends and I chauffeured around the sky in comfort. I'm with yulzari on that. That would be the PBY Catalina. Love those two "Vista Sky View Lounges" in the back. Fortunately, there's a few PBY's left. C'mon Megamillions!!

Well, of course, since money (in this scenario) is not a limit for the build, I might consider having the BV238 resurrected.

The idea behind this is to cruise around the globe, stopping along the way to pick up forum friends and then it's off to South Pacific destinations like Bora Bora for extended R&R :thumbleft:

A Curtiss SOC, if one wants to remain in the realm of "practical." Beyond that realm, a Republic Rainbow, a Fairey Battle (while not a great airplane, its crews were incredibly brave), and an XP-77.

For some other impractical choices:
Kawanishi H8K, Tachikawa Ki-74, He-219, Breguet 697, and the Piaggio P.108.

Well, of course, since money (in this scenario) is not a limit for the build, I might consider having the BV238 resurrected.

The idea behind this is to cruise around the globe, stopping along the way to pick up forum friends and then it's off to South Pacific destinations like Bora Bora for extended R&R :thumbleft:
I came pretty close to choosing the Boeing 314.

I too lack the discipline to pick just one...

I love the sea planes, and I have a model of this one sitting right behind me as I type this, I think it would be ideal for taking a pretty girl with you to go exploring the Carribean islands, Romain Hugault style, with a little firepower in case you run into trouble.

Northrop_N-3PB_in_flight.jpg

For a fighter, I think the Reggiane Re 2005

and if I needed to just go wreak some havoc, I think a Beaufighter.

To absolutely no ones surprise my pick(s):

P-51B with DFF

After that, Others

Single Engine Fighter: P-39
Twin Engine Fighter: P-38 (E or F with those gorgeously sleek chin radiators)
Twin Engine Bomber: B-25
Four Engine Bomber: B-29
Transport: C-47
Seaplane: OS2U Kingfisher
Big Seaplane: Boeing 314 Clipper
Jet: P-80

Last edited:
Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war, built from the ground up, regardless of type or nationality - what would it be and why.

For me, it would be the He280 because it has a destinct 1930's look to it's design, it was a nimble and responsive aircraft and it was the world's first combat jet and no examples exist, making it extremely rare.
Choose for what role?

If for a celebrity's toy collected for future resale, hands down Spitfire Mk.I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back