Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war, built from the ground up, regardless of type or nationality - what would it be and why.

For me, it would be the He280 because it has a destinct 1930's look to it's design, it was a nimble and responsive aircraft and it was the world's first combat jet and no examples exist, making it extremely rare.

I guess I can't say all of them.

I kind of lean towards later war designs and after seeing one in person recently I'm going with the P-51H. Ask me again in an hour and I'll probably say something else.

For the beauty and extreme exclusivity, I'd probably opt for a VL Pyörremyrsky. I'd want a spare engine, prop, and a couple of sets of brakes.

unb5oc0s2ni11.jpg

They only made one. It LOOKS like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a second seat for a friend. And nobody else would have one at any airshow in the world.

Of course, that can be said for a LOT of WWII-era aircraft ... but this one is both a great performer and virtually unknown. You could say the same about rarity for the Reggiane Re.2005 but, then again, there IS one in a museum. They built only 48, which is more than they actually delivered of the Ta-152, and there IS one in a museum for this one, too.

Any of these three would offer some exceptional rarity, but the other two are surely more well-known.

Last edited:
A Whirlwind would be way cool to see flying!

Anybody know if there are any flyable Peregrines left? I haven't seen or heard of one, but that doesn't count for much. They only built 301 of them and almost all were in Whirlwinds or were spares for Whirlwinds. Once we find Peregrines, then we need to find at least a pair of suitable propellers.

Hard choices.

Single engine? Messerschmitt Bf 109 G or Focke Wulf 190 G or D.
Twin engine? Junkers Ju 188 or 388.
Tri-motor? Savoia-Marchetti SM-79 or Junkers Ju 352.
Four-engine? Focke-Wulf FW 200.
Six engine? Junkers Ju 390.

Being a spoilsport, I would like an aircraft whose performance has inspired long arguments on this forum and elsewhere. Of course, even when these aircraft exist, for example the Ki-84, N1K2-J and J2M, it still seems impossible to reliably estimate their performance. However, the Fw-187 v6 or the MB-157 prototype might be able to answer one or two questions. Another less puzzling "might have been" fighter would be the I-185 had its factory not been unnecessarily moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back